What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ultrasonic fogger

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Hello,

I am considering adding an Ultrasonic Fogger to my Nepenthes plant collection. From what I have read, these produce a nice amount of mist and can raise the humidity very quickly to ±100%.

From what I have read on various manufactures' websites, the misters should no be run more than 8 hours a day. Is anyone following this 8 hour rule and cycling the mister on and off?

I would also like a rough idea as to how long a water supply will last using the mister. I am currently using a cool evaporative type humidifier that uses a gallon/week and keeps the humidity level between 80-100% depending on temperatures.

Thanks

I just got a fogger. I mainly bought it just to mess around with. It does make a lot of fog and is really cool. It also spits water around from the slight water jet it makes. It has to be in fairly shallow water or it won't make fog (around 2-4" above the fogger head). The water does evaporate fairly quickly because it puts out quite a bit of thick fog. It would be a excellent terrarium humidifier though!!

-buckeye

I recommend it to increase humidity in a terrarium. I put my Nep. bicalcarata and Nep. campulata near it and they love it when the fogger splashes on it. The fogger is however, on almost ten hours a day. Please remember to ensure that there us sufficient water covering the fogger, or else the unit will burn out! I destroyed a fogger by letting too much water to evaporate and thus lowering the water level.

there are many ultrasonic foggers. If you are getting the one you submerse in the water, refer to the two past posts. There are some other foggers, ranging anywhere from 30-300 dollars! the 300 dollar one can be run 24/7/365 I think, and it puts out so much fog it raises the humidity of a 12X12 foot greenhouse to 100%!
wow.gif
I would go with the little one the other two are talking about though
smile.gif

I found a used fogger on ebay for $6.99. Shipping was $7.50 though. That's still a whole lot cheaper than the lowest price I could find anywhere else ($25&#33
wink.gif
. Anywho, be ready to buy a new ceramic disc every year or so, depending on how many hours a day it runs.

Mike
smile.gif

You probably know this but I'll add it anyway...

Most Ultrasonic Humidifiers are designed to run using RO / DI / Distilled water (according to manufacturer's website) If not, the Ceramic Disc at the heart of the machine wears out very quickly. (It gets caked up with what ever is dissolved in the water)

I've seen the Humidifiers sold as Aquarium Misters, Glass / China Ornaments etc. However, these NEVER have the warning about using RO / DI / Distilled water on the packet (unless ya check the website of the Ceramic Disc's Manufacturer)

This shouldn't be a problem, as we all have a source of RO/DI water. I just thought I'd add what I know about them.

Maybe a newer, or more expensive model can handle 'dirtier' water, I only checked for the cheapest models, £20 to £30, a year or to ago

Jacko

Thanks for all the info.

The fogger I am looking at has specs that say it cannot run more than 8 hours a day. However, that seems to be the general rule for this type of fogger. It comes with one extra disk and is only $26 shipped to my door.

Back