What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help, experts advice needed

ok, i have this 10 gallon and i want to fill it up with plants,which plants should i get, i also have some tubs, does anybody know what kind of plants i should get? and im waiting on an 85 gallon as well. remember, im pretty much a novice, but i have a couple plants, a puepera, a s. cabasti, a spathula, a pygmy, and a n vetrata cutting. thanks in advance
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Hello,
10 gallons are prety space limited, so do you want to have a landscaped terrarium? Or have your plants potted individually standing in water trays? Once you have figured it out, we can help you alot more. Oh, and do you want to have it a highland or lowland? Also, what kind of lights do you have?
Kevin

okay, i want mostly lowlands, i want to get a strip light, and this for the fututre mostly, i'm broke right now

Lowlands eh? Well im broke too, so no plants for me either
wink.gif
. Well, you need to maintain fairly high temps. For that you can stick a fish tank heater in a jar of distilled water. This will not only heat the tank but add additional humidity as well. Plants generally are smaller compact neps and pings plus some dews and such. I would recommend nep wise N. Ampullaria, and possibly N. Tentaculata. H. Nutans, Mexican butterworts, D. Adelae, and a few others. Hope it helps,
Kevin

thanx, i hope i can sell some stuff soon though for a little bit of extra cash
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Since the topic of 10 gallon tanks came up, I thought I would share a photo of my setup. Its not pretty, but it works. I do need to do a little cleaning around it.

10Gallon6LightSetup.jpg

The left most tank has most of my indoor Sarracenia. It also contains my Red Dragon Venus Flytraps. The second tank has S. judith hindle, some pygmy dews, some Drosera seedlings of various species, a P. primulifolia, and some two common vfts and a pot of Green Dragons. The third tank is full of Pygmy Drosera. The 4th tank has some Sarracenia purpurea, a D. adelea, D. spatulata, D. intermedia 'Cuba', and some S. flava seedlings.

Overall, there are 50 pots in 4 tanks. Pot size varies from 1 inch to 6 inches.

fastplants.org supplied the instructions for the light rack I built. Mine is a few inches taller than what the plans called for. Lighting Systems from Fastplants.org.

Back