Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: building a terrarium start to finish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, but take Rampuppy's terrarium for instance(in user submitted gallery) It's everything you could look for. It has the awesome effect of an ultrasonic fogger. I think especially if someone had one they didn't want or need, then it shouldn't be $30
    I am back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh yeah, Rampuppy, I love your terrarium!
    I am back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, I don't have to have an ultrasonic fogger, it would just be neat...
    I am back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read somewhere that you always double the size of the terrarium that you think you'll need. Believe me I am glad I didnt go with anything less than 75 gallons. If you have a terrariumthat is 15 to 20 gallons then you dont need and probably dont want an ultrasonic humidifier considering the space it takes up. For a 15 to 20 gallon tank one two foot shoplight should be good. I would suggest a cool light and a growlight. As for Nepenthes you need to get a bigger terrarium if you plan to grow any species. Like N. Gracilis is a small plant and can be hacked back, but it grows like a weed. I neglected to cut mine back and now I have two 5ft vines going from one end of my terrarium to the other! i do plant to make like fifty cuttings and sell them at the next St. Louis carnivorous society meeting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

your point?
    I am back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have gotten away from the aquarium- style terrarium. My current terrarium is, essentially, a plywood box with glass on top and sliding glass doors on the front. If you want a large terrarium, this is cheaper and much easier to access than using a fishtank. If you have 150 to spend, you may as well build it 4 feet long and use standard shop lights. Smaller fixtures are going to be much more expensive, as are the bulbs for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

My point is that I have given you all the information that I can provide at this current time with the current imformation. As you said...
    "I would like you to give me recommendations please, on lighting, humidity, plants, type of terrarium, EVERYTHING!"
    If you want to know something in particular ASK. I am willing to provide you with as much information as you require and I can give. Speaking of which I believe the best terrarium for your money is a 55 gallon with a cheaper 4 ft shoplight. 55 gallon tanks are large enough to fit a good number of plants in for around a $100 US dollars. You can often find them for cheaper though. As for the shoplights the are around $8 dollars if you look, as for the bulbs they depend on the store and the type. I do agree with dodecatheon if your plants/terrarium are going to be for your eyes only then you do not need an expensive terrarium. I am personally working on making a 4ft by 2 ft shelf and covering it with plastic and have several levels of plants. This is a very cheap idea to have lots of growing space with high humidity and the works.

Your welcome,
    Sam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, thanks!
    Ok, let's say anywhere 15-35 gal. It's going to be for a lot more eyes than mine. Probably for an enviromental education program on Carnivorious Plants. Just easy care, showy plants, for encouragement for kids on enviroment awareness, but CP's sure get more attention than grass... But-yes there always is a but-I want it to be semi-formidible too intermediate CPers. You know, Just an all-around goodin'
    I am back..

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast