What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Targets logic

I went into Target today on lunch and went to their limited houseplant section. Usually there's wanna be bonzai and green capped lucky bamboo. With your assortment of unlabeled generic tropical folliage and a few bromeliads of course. Well, to my surprise I saw Sarracenia, apparently 'Judith Hindle'. The leaves looked pretty nice for a plant in target. Now, realize these are on the bottom shelf, basically on the floor in the middle of the store far far far away from the windows that don't exist. That's not really the shocker. These nice Sarracenia were in glass vases, being sold as house plants. Still not surprised...but, they labeled them as Cobra Lillies, and gave a whole story about Darlingtonia. Strange that such nicely cared for plants for once were completely mislabeled.

My question is why would they sell these this time a year as houseplants? It makes no sense, not only will they probably just sit in a corner somewhere and not get enough light, but this time a year they should be getting ready for bed, not hanging out in front of the fire place.
tounge.gif

Makes no sense to me what so ever.

So...I went to Lowe's and ended up getting a Darlingtonia.
tounge.gif
$12 bucks cheaper.

it makes perfect sense!
because the people packaging and selling these simply dont care that:
its mislabeled
it needs dormancy soon
it wont get enough light
it will get tap water
it will die in 3 months.

by then, the money will have been made, and the purchaser of the plant will NEVER bring it back after 3 months and complain, they will just assume they caused its death, they must have done something wrong..

and you said the real darlingtonia was 12$ cheaper?!
how much was the Judith Hindle?
wow.gif

were there any care instructions?
I will to visit local targets soon and see if they have any!

Scot

That's no surprise, I've seen S. purpurea labeled as "cobra plants" in a realy, honest to goodness nursery! My wife wouldn't let me chew them out....
honestly....
rolleyes.gif

As far as selling them this way, don't be too surprised. Scotty is propably right...They only care about the almights dollar. Also, with regards to dormancy, these are most likely tissue culture plants, and won't need it until next winter.

Darlingtonia are $3 and the Sarracenia in the vase was $15, but i'm guessing $10 of that is for the vase. It just kind of hurts to see them like that. And if they start to die I doubt they'll even discount them.

It's really sad since the plants look actually good to start with for once. Still don't think it's worth the price of the vase.
tounge.gif

I know there is a cultivar floating around called 'Cobra's Nest' that was specifically bred for its resistance to tap water and being occasionally dried out. Might that have been the beast you saw?

At Target?
tounge.gif
Geez, I wish. Nah, it did say cobra lilly. I'll double check though, any idea what the physical characteristics of cobras nest would be?

Looks like a rubra from what I have heard but that could be hearsay. Might check the ICPS register of cultivars.

S. x 'Cobra Nest' = S. rubra x purpurea

Still apparently wants distilled or rain water. Might be slightly tollerant.

It definately wasn't this one though. I'm just going to stick with it being 'Judith Hindle'. The lid and color patterns just seem to noticably similar.

Here's a pic of cobra nest.

cobranest.jpg

i've heard of the s. x cobras nest , never ever heard of it being tolerable of tap and drying , probably it can withstand no dormancy as well . spectablis and I have did alot of research about this plant and i thought it was a more complex hybrid , other wise i thought it was an  s. x catesbaei but isn't s. rubra x s. purpurea = s. x chelsonii . thats a nice pic larry , they had it on www.boomanfloral.com , http://www.boomanfloral.com/fp_cobranest.htm , i don't think they sell the plant though . hey pyro , where did you get the info that it can withstand those things anyways .

has anyone else seen the plants in the vases ?

I went to target and stumbled upon a whole bunch of
S. x 'wrigleyana.' All of which were in excellent condition. The lady at the counter said "I wonder if it would be poisonous to a cat?" I told her "no probably not."

It was Also marked with the 'cobra lily' tag. I found one that where the price was mismarked and I got it for $4.99.

Here is a picture:
smile.gif

sarracenia%20x%20'minor'%20004.jpg
biggrin.gif

Back