Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daphina

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Hi,

The main trouble with collecting your own daphnia is all the other little beasties you may get in the process. Just be sure you know what daphnia you are looking for -- there are many many different species. My local species is a very small species and one that is impossible to culture as it has enormous blooms and busts in its life cycle. Daphnia pulex is a nice small species too but is for cooler water than I have and has erratic population cycles too. I like D. magna because its bloom/bust cycle can be sort of balanced and it gets good size so it feeds alot of different fish plus the babies can feed the plants.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (PlantAKiss @ July 23 2003,10:24)
    Isn't it daphnia? [/QUOTE]
    Yes, Daphnia is the genus name. And yes many pet/hobby stores do use incorrect names for the things they sell. I just can't stand it when they try to correct customers that are using the appropriate terminology. I heard one salesman vehemently tell a patron that fruit flies are actually called Dorosiphila, not Drosophila (as she was correctly using).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

best way to collect daphnia is to make your own net. i made mine out of panty-hose, a wire frame, and string [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

4. Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12