What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sea monkeys or triops

Hi, I was just wonering if anyone raises triops or sea monkeys here. If you don't, you should try it, they're fun. (triops are anyway, I don't do sea monkeys.
smile.gif

I want some seamonkeys, Anybody have any they can send me? If not I would like to try triops, too.
Maybe this should be in the traders forum.

Ozzy...  Sea monkeys are available at most fish stores..  They are called brine shrimp. Pretty cheap too..  Can get a bag of a few thousand for about a dollar..  At least thats what they cost when I used to buy them as fish food.

Steve

I had some triops once. Unfortunately they are no longer with us. I was thinking about getting some more. Does anyone have a suggestion on where i should get them? Thanks

-buckeye

triops grow 3 times larger than seamonkeys, but live only for a month or two. the fun thing is to breed them. Its easyer to breed the seamonkeys than the triops. Pyro, most toy stores and toys'R'us carry sea monkeys. HobbyLobby caries triops. if you cant find each, go to their websites. ( www.seamonkey.com , and i dont remember the triops one)

I just bought a box of triops, they come in a kit. Hatch eggs that were a thousand years old, claim the disclaimer. I was wondering if I could use the triops to feed my fishes, or what are the triops good for?

Well, triops are pretty fierce little critters. If your fish are small, they might get into a fight. I like triops, so I wouldn't feed them to my goldfish.
biggrin.gif
Also, you can get triops at Zany Brainy, or off the internet I think. Sea monkeys you see at odd places. I saw one in a drugstore and one in Ross once.

Bought triops at walmart for the kids, three are still alive and fairly large, how do I breed the little critters?

joe

You mean Sea Horses?
confused.gif

Edit:
Sea Monkeys are small...I went on google and found out what Sea Monkeys are.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (joseph @ Sep. 24 2003,12:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Bought triops at walmart for the kids, three are still alive and fairly large, how do I breed the little critters?

joe[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hello,
Keep the water temperature fairly warm- around 75-80 degrees F. Put some peat moss or fine sand in a 1 inch pile on one side of the tank. The triops will breed, and dig into the soil to lay eggs. After your triops die (this could be in another month or two), wait about 10 days. Sometimes the triop eggs that have floated to the surface hatch. If no eggs hatch, drain out the water (don't let any peat/sand get out though! Then leave the soil under a bright light, outside in full sun would be best. if you want, get another batch of tirops form the store. it will take a while for these eggs to dry out. After about a month, put water into the container again. the eggs will hatch in 1-3 days. repeat!
biggrin.gif
by the time these eggs hatch, the 'other' batch i recommended you to get when you first start to dry out the eggs will have bred and died. with two different batches you can make sure you always have some triops while the eggs from the other batch dry.
smile.gif
Good luck!

-Spec
smile.gif

There's actually a difference believe it or not between sea monkeys and brine shrimp.

Sea monkeys from what i've heard are a little bigger and live a little longer. Kind of like the difference between getting a small plant from seed, or one from tc. Sea monkeys are the ones that are bred and i'm not sure if it's done genetically, been awhile since I did the research, but basically they're a little different.
tounge.gif

A thing that is probably different about brine shrimp and sea monkeys is that sea monkeys are for fresh water (I think) and brine shrimp are saltwater critters. Oh, and you might want to put some coconut bark in triops water, they will eat it and it also conditions the water, but I don't know how coconut bark could do that.
biggrin.gif

Brine shrimp are definitely salt water, they occur naturally in salt lakes where the salt level is EXTREMELY high. They need a lot of salt in their water which is why they die fairly quickly when you throw them into your aquarium as fish food.
I always thought sea monkeys and brine shrimp are the same thing and I suspect that sea monkeys are also salt water, they are called SEA monkeys after all?

Droseradude you are very correct in that triops are fierce, they are also carnivorous and cannabalistic. I have also bred them and they need to be separated from each other pretty quickly because they grow at different rates and the bigger ones eat the smaller ones until fairly soon you end up with just one big triops. At least that is what always happened with mine.

Cheers, Troy.

No kidding about "cannibalistic." I had these 6 triops, a little later, I only had 2. They eat the dead ones, too, very gross.
wow.gif

I have hatched out two packets of seamonkeys. My first colony died because my cosin knocked their container over, the second colony died out cause I left them on a window sill in the sun. They're not CPs so don't try that! I loved my seamonkeys while I had them, they're soooo fun. BTW it is true that some of the egg will hatch if you let the water evaporate and pour new water and some of the plasma II stuff, I got a whole new colony from the second packet that way. I've always wanted to get some triops (they look wild) ever since I found out there was such a thing. I think I'll get them from the fish catalog of Foster & Smith.

Hi,

Brine shrimp and sea monkeys are the same thing. The size difference idea may come from the fact that San Francisco Bay brine shrimp -- which were the first commercialized brine shrimp starting in the 1930's -- are a slightly smaller strain of brine shrimp than the ones found in the Great Salt Lake in Utah -- which are the ones that are most popular today and are the ones most likely used for sea monkeys. If you want to check out a great sight for brine shrimp information (and great cheap fish foods) look at <www.brineshrimpdirect.com>.

Bobby

I also noticed a diff btw brine shrimp (at least those I get from fish shops here anyway) and sea monkeys. The brine shrimp never grow beyond a little full-stop, whereas seamonekeys can get so large that one can see their eyes, tail, little feelers, etc etc. and sea monkeys seem to live longer too... the brine shrimp die after a week or so. I understand that they are one and the same. but are there different forms of the same species?

Re triops, I got one pack from the UK (they dont sell this here in Singapore) and I havent hatched them yet. Quite worried by the fact that they last only 2 mths =) But there was this other creature together with the triop I think, any idea what this is?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vertigo @ Sep. 24 2003,1:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There's actually a difference believe it or not between sea monkeys and brine shrimp.

Sea monkeys from what i've heard are a little bigger and live a little longer.  Kind of like the difference between getting a small plant from seed, or one from tc.  Sea monkeys are the ones that are bred and i'm not sure if it's done genetically, been awhile since I did the research, but basically they're a little different.  
tounge.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Also, sea monkeys have a king and queen and little babies and live in castles... at least that's what I've seen in pictures.
biggrin.gif

I really have to recommend the sea monkeys. I've had both sea monkeys brand brine shrimp and the regular - the sea monkeys definetly grow larger and live longer. Selective breeding I'm sure. Besides, they're fun to have on the desk at work. I have had a few sets, my favorite is the ghostly galleon (from FAO Schwartz) with the glow in the dark sunken ship and little light up top. And, you can always order more of the supplies from the company for a buck or two.

My brine shrimp i hatched for my convict cichlids did not die after week, they lived for 3 months, got to the size of sea monkeys, bred, then died... lol
biggrin.gif

My sea monkeys lived for 2 1/2 years. the first ones died after about 6 months, but the eggs that floated to the top and go stuck to the side of the tank wall dried out and hatched, and so on
biggrin.gif
It is very fun to shine a flashlight in front of the tank at night and see all of the shadows moving around.... they look kinda creepy at 3 feet in length
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif

I think triops are funner. They grow alot larger, have three eyes for their entire life (sea monkeys have 3 eyes for the first 10 days of their life, before they first molt). Triops are feirce, it is fun to watch them prey on daphina. I also, with the san fransisco bay brine shrimp, used the meathod to get some sea monkeys into fresh water, then i fed thme to the triops. It was so fun.
biggrin.gif
Kinda sad though, the sea monkeys didn't even have a chance
tounge.gif

Back