What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darn squirrels

unknownclown

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!!
Ok so I just got done splitting my sarrs and redoing all my pots getting ready for spring here and guess what I found.
Not only did the darn things attack my plants last year but they planted thier peanuts in the soill.

I'll tell you what, its on!
mad.gif
If them buggers wanna play this year they better watch out cause Im broke, they are annoying and costing me $money$ diggin up my plants and Ive heard that they taste like chicken
wow.gif

Try using cayenne pepper flakes sprinkled on the top of the soil in the pots or moth balls. Sometimes animal control authorities or local nature centers will loan or rent Hav-a-hart traps for pest removal. Take them at least 5 miles away. If all else fails, Wal Mart sells pellet guns....just kidding.

As soon as my Hotmail account is no longer "Temporaraly Unavailable" I will post a link on fun things to do with squirrels

unknownclown,

After reading with much distress, the problems squirrels were causing you, Plantakiss and many others last year, I took it upon myself to hire a Private Investegator to look into the situatation.  After many months we were able to track down the leader of this rabid bunch of CP killers.  We found that his organization was world wide and bent on the destruction of all CPs and to hide as many nuts as they could.  The following is a picture of this ringleader, taken at a party thrown in celebration of one of their most destructive outings
mad.gif

16754088-d36c-015D0106-.jpg

Here we go. This here is what happens when college people get bored and there are squirrels around

Yeah gosh I hate them. Last summer I found one digging a VFT pot. Thankfully it didn't eat the bulb.
smile.gif
Sometimes I may find that immmature VFT trap swere eaten off the stem.
mad.gif
mad.gif

I feel the pain too, in last November I had my Darlingtonia spend the day on my porch railing thing, well I happend to look out side and found a crow scraping and pecking the pot like a chicken, I shot out of my chair and luckily scared it off before any real damadge ocurred, don't have any probs with squirrles though....hope you find a remedy!
smile.gif

Kevin

That is good BCK. I do not care for them either as I prefer to call them Tree Rats! Although I do not have them were I live now. Back in the days I remember my step-mother getting ticked off about them eating all the bird seeds. The odd part is we could not hunt them in the yard
confused.gif
. I sort of think it is one of those love/hate relationships. I have problems with darn Blue Jays...

travis

WHAT?!? blue jays? NO WAY!
wow.gif
I havea bird feeder near my plants outside, and there are literally about 100 birds that come every day, every time I look out the window there's like 10 birds, and I've seen 3 different blue jays that come all of the time, but never bothered my plants... maybe the bird seed distracts them?
confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spectabilis73 @ Feb. 22 2003,02:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">WHAT?!? blue jays? NO WAY!  
wow.gif
I havea bird feeder near my plants outside, and there are literally about 100 birds that come every day, every time I look out the window there's like 10 birds, and I've seen 3 different blue jays that come all of the time, but never bothered my plants... maybe the bird seed distracts them?
confused.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Key word: Bird Feeder.
wink.gif
They seem to peck at my vft's the most. I believe it is a curious peck, then end up leaving because they vfts do not taste that great...thank goodness.

OOOOOH I'm gettin' to where I hate squirrels with a passion. They're about the only animal that I DON'T like. Reasons:

(1)I have a gazebo style bird feeder hanging on a Shephard's Hook; I always put car grease all over the pole leading up to the feeder, to keep the dang squirrels from climing up it. Eventually, they figure out that if they slide back down it alot, they rub the grease off. They then start to eat the seed in the feeder. When that happens, I sneak up on them with a short peice of PVC pipe and throw it at them; I try to hit them with it(don't worry. The pipe is very small and light and doesn't hurt them. It just scares 'em sh*tless). When it does hit them, they take a flying leap off the feeder, which makes the feeder do a 360 and all the seed goes flying.
mad.gif
I don't think it would save any seed If I didn't knock them off the feeder by throwing the pipe at them. They would still send the feeder into a 360 even if I banged on the door and yelled instead.

(2)They are always burying their acorns in my flower pots(thank God they don't dig in the cp pots as well)! Of all the places in my yard, they just have to pick my flower pots.  
mad.gif

My only hope to deter them is my little dog, Fluffy(he's a Pomeranian). Step one: see squirrels. Step two: call Fluffy. Step three: release Fluffy into backyard . Step four: laugh as squirrels go racing across the yard and up the tree, fleeing from Fluffy as he chases them wildly across the yard!! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! CURSE YOU POSSESSED RODENTS YOU!!!

Pyro, are those the same guys who taught Bulwinkle's little buddy Rocky how to fly?
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FlytrapGurl @ Feb. 21 2003,2:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OOOOOH I'm gettin' to where I hate squirrels with a passion. They're about the only animal that I DON'T like. Reasons:

(1)I have a gazebo style bird feeder hanging on a Shephard's Hook; I always put car grease all over the pole leading up to the feeder, to keep the dang squirrels from climing up it. Eventually, they figure out that if they slide back down it alot, they rub the grease off. They then start to eat the seed in the feeder. When that happens, I sneak up on them with a short peice of PVC pipe and throw it at them; I try to hit them with it(don't worry. The pipe is very small and light and doesn't hurt them. It just scares 'em sh*tless). When it does hit them, they take a flying leap off the feeder, which makes the feeder do a 360 and all the seed goes flying.
mad.gif
I don't think it would save any seed If I didn't knock them off the feeder by throwing the pipe at them. They would still send the feeder into a 360 even if I banged on the door and yelled instead.  

(2)They are always burying their acorns in my flower pots(thank God they don't dig in the cp pots as well)! Of all the places in my yard, they just have to pick my flower pots.  
mad.gif

My only hope to deter them is my little dog, Fluffy(he's a Pomeranian). Step one: see squirrels. Step two: call Fluffy. Step three: release Fluffy into backyard . Step four: laugh as squirrels go racing across the yard and up the tree, fleeing from Fluffy as he chases them wildly across the yard!! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! CURSE YOU POSSESSED RODENTS YOU!!![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
well, why don't you just provide a seed tray on the ground by the feeder? and move it away from the feeder every day, untill it's on the other side of the yard? then them dang squirles won't bother your birds...
smile.gif

and/or, get pinecones, spead peanut butter on them, and put them somewhere else in the yard

I dont know man thats kinda like me puttin the dog dish in one corner of the apartment and the cats dish in another corner and expecting them to stay outta each others food.
But who  knows maybe it will work.

Personally I dont mind getting brutal and goin for blood. I will hang rat traps in the trees they use to get up onto my deck if I  have to. Heck once my snakes get bigger I'll realy get creative in killing them if they insist on comming up here. Of course thats a ways away unless I get that burmese python I was offered today  
wow.gif

By the way I love that link Pyro! You come up with some good ones  
biggrin.gif

BCK Great pic I love it!

Flytrap girl next time they wipe all of the grease off flick a match in the area
wink.gif

Shelly Bean has lost her mind.
wink.gif

Give Joel a lesson in bird hunting!

flick a match?!?!?! oh that, is, hilarious! I immediatly started laughing! Hahahahahahaha,
Kevin

I got an idea buy a Rat trap and replace cheese with bird food when squrril sticks his cute little paw out to grab some BANG His paw is crushed and trapped then you can torture it or set it free nomatter what you choose it wont try again ...

Well, I would try the seed tray idea, if I thought they deserved to be fed. I'd rather continue scaring them sh*tless!
biggrin.gif
In addition to raidning my birdfeeder and digging in my flower pots, one particular squirrel likes to go galavanting up and down the screen on the outside of all my windows. The first time I see and hear him there, it scares the sh*t out of me. He especially likes to do this on the windows of my sunroom out on the front of the house.
mad.gif

P.S. Yesterday, when I checked on my cps, I noticed that about two tablespoons of dirt in my purpurea's pot had been somehow thrown down beside the pot, and there was a slight hole in the dirt where that two tablespoons had fallen out(or had been thrown out)!
mad.gif
Conclusion: <span style='color:red'>YOU HORRID LITTLE PESTS, TOUCH MY PRECIOUS PLANTS AGAIN AND YOU'RE TOAST!!!</span>
mad.gif

found something for you, look at the other squirl opost

Back