Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scientific cp name pronunciations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Bob stated these are based in Latin. It is not difficult when you know the rules. No promise, but I will work on it when I have the time. HaHaHa. (If someone else does not get to it before hand) Could be a long wait.

Also, As I have noted with news casters lately, the pronunciation will change as so the speaker can feel cool and different.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A possible model for a future CP glossary where you simply press the speaker icon to get the pronunciation, see
    http://arneson.cornell.edu/Glossary/Glossary.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice!
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It helps when with pronunciation when you live in Miami Florida with all the Spanish. It seems that most Latin names work out if you pronounce them as if they were spanish ('cause spanish is more closely related to Latin). Anyways, there are still some I'm not sure of:

veitchii vEHt- chia?
    raja I say RAH-ha, but I've heard RA-jah

Regards, hamata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Y'all remember now that Latin was not a spoken language so don't be overly concerned. Rules of pronunciation are only others opinions on how the words should sound, and when you add in the reigonal accents it's pretty much anything goes.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Y'all remember now that Latin was not a spoken language [/QUOTE]
    Tamlin, just checking, but didn't ancient romans speak latin? I think I would call Latin a dead language, meaning no one speaks it anymore...(sorry, just got back from the Collesium&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm learning Latin in an online highschool. They have pronunciation guides and oral quizzes, so I'm pretty sure that it is still spoken (though rarely). Mostly it is for translating, but if you wanted to bad enough, (and had enough time to figure out each word and which of the gazillion conjugations or declensions it belonged to) you could speak it. Just my small input!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

SF

Far too old to grow up now. Kate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was always of the impression that the written latin (the one we are trying to sort out today) and the spoken version were very dissimilar. Mostly due to dialects and different educators. I got the impression that it was kind of like comparing english to german, very similar when when written, whole different language when spoken.... Just a thought.

As for what I do when trying to pronouce the words, I take a page from my daughters word games "Every letter makes a sound", add my limited knowledge of latin and wing it from there.
    I typo, therefore I edit.

9. Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast