User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can a cp be grown hydroponically

PYRO213
    As the title says, can you grow a venus flytrap, pitcher plant or any similar plants hydroponically? I want to try with one of em' to see if they get really big or something like that. What do you guys think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umm, no it wouldn't work. You could grow them with just rock wool and water, I don't see why that wouldn't work out for some plants, but with a true hydro set up, you're pouring a whole lot of nutrients and chemicals into the water to make up for not having the "soil" media for the plant to obtain what it needs.
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings 213,

Vertigo is correct in that true hydroponic growth would probably not be possible with CPs due to the fertilizer/suppliment load that is utilized. However, that said I would think it wold be possible to try a hydroponic-like setup that lacks the addtional factors in the water. YOu would probably want to try and acidify the water a bit though, maybe use a peat tea solution or something
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darlingtonia californica might be a good guinea pig for it actually. A lot of people seem to make semi-hydroponic systems to keep the roots cool over the summer.
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3710.html , you gotta love that webiste , very imformative [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] . anyways , i agree , hydroponics is not the way to grow cps , to much fertilizers , but then again , takes those fertilizers and other stuff out and it just might work , although i think sarracenia would be a better guinea pig for this expriment . i also hear that its possible to grow a few cps in pure sand because some live that way in the habitat so i might try to do my own experiment .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hydroponics: the growing of plants in nutrient solutions with or without an inert medium to provide mechanical support.

A proper nutrient solution would be needed to grow cps hydroponically. If time and money permit, I may try a couple of methods.

I believe Nepenthes would work well for this. I have two N. gracilis cuttings that have grown about 4 inches and produced pitchers in a cup of water. A bit of diluted fertilizer with trace elements would make the water a nutrient solution. One could possibly argue that adding no nutrients to the water is still a nutrient solution; one with zero nutrients.

Nick

Careful where you crawl, it might be a trap!

http://www.carnivorium.com
    http://www.buckeyecarnivores.com

PYRO213
    Thanks for the replys but I think I am going to give it a shot, I have two pitcher plants and mabye Ill try with one of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What type of hydroponic setup would work best? NFT, aero, ebb and flow... ? Or are NFT and ebb and flow the same?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast