Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused about Sphagnum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im alittle confused about the term sphagnum now. Is sphagnum moss the long fibered one or the lil green sprigs on peat and other soil? Can anyone give me a list of all the shpagnum terms. Thank you-Zach
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sphagnum Peat Moss - Is like regular soil except the spaghnum moss has been shredded.

Long Fiber Sphagnum witch is the non-shredded kind, usually brown.

I am not sure what you mean by the little green sprigs on peat and other soil? Usually sphagnum can have different meaning to it. Just by say sphagnum could mean several things.

Hope this helps...

travis
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zach,
    The little green sprigs are shagnum moss that has sprouted from spores. In bogs, this grows and forms thick layers that are cut, harvested and sold as long fibered sphagnum moss (LFS) or ground up and sold as sphagnum peat moss.

Does this clear it up a little?

Take care
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im cleared now. So the lil sprigs from the spores can eventually grow to large mosses used for LF sphagnum.
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    absolutely.. I have several HUGE patches of sphagnum growing in my tank, and I never had anything but dead sphagnum in there to start with...
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

How long does it take to take off? I have some little sprigs, but they've been little for a long time, but they're still growing. Anyway to speed it up?
    I am back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about speeding it up...

From my experience, growth is slow... I went form zero Square inches to about twenty square inches in different patches... and I have had this tank set up a little over a year.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, well that's good news! I thought much longer! Your terrarium is awesome!
    I am back..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast