What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to do for mold?

Cynic81

Frakkin Toaster
I suspect there may be some kind of mold growing with my cps. I've noticed white fuzzines on the little twigs in their soil, and thus far no mold has appeared on the plans themselves. Plants at risk include: D. Muscipula, S. Leucophyla and S. Purpurea. They are currently being grown in a terrarium in their pots under a 1750 lumen CF bulb. What should I do?

Hi Cynic81. It sounds like botrytis to me. As long as it doesn't spread to the plants i think you're alright. You could get some fungicide and spray your plants and the soil to be safe. The fungus growth could be a sign of low light conditions, overly humid conditions or poor air circulation in your terrarium. I hope this helps.

-buckeye

I agree with Buckeye. Do you have circulation? I would recommend spraying with a fungicide. Also try to remove dead matter from time to time.

Well, I hope it isn't due to low light, as the affected plants are showing some nice color under teh bulb, so I'ts probably due to either high umidity or low air circulation, since from time to time I take the plants out of the tank to water them ,and inevitably some will spill on the bottom of the terrarium and sit there. I also consider mysel pretty diligent in removing dead matter from the plants, and I frequently clip back dying leaves. I have a small fan I can use to increase circulation, how long should I leave it on for? Also, what brands of fungicide do you recommend? I tried looking for some at my local Lowe's (regretably the only thing resembling a garden shop within walking distance) and I didn't find any fungicide. I'll try to make another trip out soon.

I think the source of the mold may be the fact that my room's Ac unit FESTERS with it. Spores porbably got blown onto the plants on the sill. Would Neem Oil work to kill this stuff? I got some spray yesterday that .9% Neem oil extract. Is this safe for my plants? Affected plants include S. Purpurea, S. Leucophylla, D. Rotundifolia, and D. Muscipula.

Can the filters be changed?

Doubt it. AC is university property. Besides, It wouldn't do much good, as the mold is all over the interior of the unit. But will the neem oil at least keep it off my plants without hurting them?

Hm...Cynic, if you can I figure mold is caused by lack of sunlight, stagnant air, and too much humidity. What you may want to do, is Mist is heavily, den put it in direct sunlight, and then there wouldn't be any mold. This is prior from my first experiments.

Cynic:

I have been spraying some of my plants with Neem oil (it sounds like the same preparation you have), and the jury is definitely still out. It seems to have severly damaged some leaves, but it may be that they were already badly infected with the fungus that is killing so many of them off.

I've never successfully treated a CP disease - the plant always ends up dieing, either from the disease, the treatment, or both. Obviously this is a rather dubious record, and i'm trying to change it.

Back