Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mean CPers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed that people in CP forums (not necessarily this one) tend to come down pretty hard on little kids. What's up with this? If you came across an 11 year-old at your local CP club meeting would you start lecturing him on spelling and grammar, or make fun of his confidence, or bait him into elaborating what was probably a lie in the first place.

Remember: 11 year-olds are those little 4-foot-tall people you see on the street. Sometimes it's easy to forget this when you are just reading what they write instead of seeing them in real life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

I'm not 4 feet tall! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]
    I am back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dodecatheon you've provided enough info to make it obvious that you're referring to Pitcherplant_Lord (let's call him PPL as I can't be bothered typing that every 2 minutes) over on GW, and as you can see I have posted replies to him.

There are two points that I want to make:

If you came across an 11 year-old[/QUOTE]

Your example is not really appropriate, we are not coming across an 11 year old anywhere. His age is not mentioned anywhere in his profile or any of his posts (at least that I have read) up until the recent one that you refer to. He could be either an immature teenager or an illiterate one, or someone older being silly (admittedly not very likely).

Secondly, my own posts were in fun and I don't see how they could be taken any other way. The poster's that have made other comments have apologised when this guy became upset, mentioned his age, etc and it appears that everyone feels the same way you do, and maybe a bit guilty.

11 year old's still need to be careful of what they post and need to be told not to lie or exaggerate.

Cheers, Troy.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dodecatheon

I don't think age is EVER the criteria for "coming down hard" on someone. I can only speak for these forums but the goal here is for everyone to be polite and respectful to every other member. And that applies whether you are 7 or 70. Every member is asked to honor the golden rule here..."be nice!"

There is a lot freedom on these forums which are GENEROUSLY provided by Jeff and Phil (Exotic Gardens) so people can learn, make friends, give advice, help newbies and get to know fellow CP/plant enthusiasts around the world. But it only takes a few to mess it up for all.

As long as people are friendly, polite, tactful and respectful... no one of any age has to worry about being being treated badly. However if any member, regardless of age, is rude, demanding, mean or disrepectful, it will NOT be tolerated. The good of ALL comes before selfishness of an individual or two.

That being said, even the younger members have a responsiblity to watch what they say and how they say it. Manners are appreciated and any complaints with individuals should be addressed PRIVATELY or thru a moderator. Sometimes enthusiasm and passion can be misinterpreted as an attack of some sort. But thats what moderators are here for...to make sure nothing is being said that will hurt someone else.

I like to see new members including the youngsters as they will be the future guardians and protectors (stewards, as Tamlin says) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] of these rare and beautiful plants. We want young members to join, to be active members...to ask, to learn and to have FUN! (And to spread the news that CPs are COOL&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

To every member...be understanding that not everyone is on the same level of experience. Be the one to offer guidance in a helpful way to a newbie. Criticism is a negative...offering to help and share your knowledge is the way! Be tactful!

Offering information, sharing experiences, learning and fun are the rewards here!

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pretty much enthusiastically agree with plantakiss
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also would like to add that if you ever see this happening here to inform a moderator about the situation and your feelings. Even if its a mod doing it there is usually another one close at hand you could message us and of course theres Phil and Jeff. One thing though please avoid conflict as far as posting your thoughts on the site it just makes the situation worse [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

If I ever have done anything to make you (or anybody else) feel thet Im picking on anybody I appologize, not only to you but to whomever it was [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    I am the weirdo who sits next to you on the bus!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well im sooooooooo sorry
    if anyone has been personally offended,
    i am s o r r y [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

I have noticed that there seems to be 'a good ol' boys club' with regards to the older growes and the younger ones. Even the olders one that don't belong to this 'club'

I know that some members here have been pushed aside, been rude to or was referred to other people/places becuase the 'elite' didn't want to answer why your VFT is turning brown after you fed it dog food.

I think that it is truly ashame that people feel they cannot help, or are tired of helping out. Therefore, it is only necessary to grow their collections of very rare plants, that only encourages others to obtain them as well in an effort of self matching.

It is because of this ( I feel ) tuberous drosea, VFT, Nepenthes and Sarracenia ( are the next in line ) are becoming more endangered. Soon, many of these plants will become extinct in the wild, because of the few that make the demand so high, but nevertheless, refuses to share or wants to charge hundreds of dollars because of its status.

I truly think that the CP elders are giving the rest of the CP collectors, as well as some growers, a bad name. There are a few that I have come across that truly feel the need to help, that want to share, that wants to bring more things into the mainstream. Yet, unfortunately, there are those that feel the total opposite. What I don't understand is, many years ago, before the advent of the internet. Before rapidly expanding collections via tissue culture...Sure I can understand not wanting to give up prize stock, because it took so long to grow. But now there are ways to grow things faster,as well as share information in a way that has never been done before.

To me, there is really no excuse for beating up on people that don't know. Or for that matter, people who 'think' others do not know.

If you find someone that you would like to be a mentor to, do so. Take someone under your wing, teach and share with them your knowledge. To me, that is truly the only way to do this.

I know man of you give away seed, plants. I do the same. And often I will trade things that I have a ton of....( if the person is insisting on trading something ). Other times, I will just send plants to someone. I try and make sure of course that the person knows what they are getting, and can demonstrate how to take care of them. No one should give things away that the recipient cannot grow, or is unsure how to grow.

Simple lessons and simple plants are a starting point for anyone. But that chance has to be extended if we are wanting others to learm.

Merely brushing them aside as if they are afflicted is not the way.

What about those that just don't want to learn, or choose not to:

Then don't share. Offer your help to a point. Then say ultimatley, 'That's it, no more'. I know that there are many other people that are far more willing to have someone help them out. Never let 1 bad apple spoil the bunch.

================

I have seen the goings on in the other forum about the person getting beat on. I often travel to other forums to see what is happening. Not to post, just to look.

The person in question, has provided a ton of misinformation, and is only leaving himself open for an attack.

Do I agree with it? Of course not. But I cannot speak for the others ( it appears that they have already spoken for themselves [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]).

If anyone is up for a challenge, then offer that person, or anyother, help for what they are doing. Just a suggestion... You can take it to heart or with a grain of salt.

Just felt the need to chime in!

I am happy that someone has brought this up, even if it has gone astray somewhat.

Cheers!!!

9. Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast