What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surprise, you don't need a permit.

I was reading through the papers they give you with your import permit, reguarding what plants require which permits for importation to the United States. Then I noticed something I had completely missed before.

It reads," Plants listed under Appendex I(except those that are artifically propagated) intended for importation to the United states must have a CITES import permit(PPQ 621/622) issued by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Plants listed under Appendix II do not require the CITES import permit(PPQ 621/622). They do, however, require an export permit from the country of origin." Plus an accompanying Photosanitary Certificate.

All Nepenthes are listed under Appendex II, except N. Rajah and N. Khasiana
Dionaea is listed under Appendex II.
All Sarracenia are listed under Appendex II, except
S. Oreophila and all S. Rubra subsp.
It didn't mention anything about any other type of CP.
All seeds and pollen of plants listed under Appendex II do not require a CITES import permit(PPQ 621/622).

This was a real suprise to me because I thought that all plants coming into the country required the $70 CITES import permit.
biggrin.gif

Oops. I meant for this post to be in General Discussions.
Could a mod please move it there?

Thanks,
Mike
smile.gif

Consider it done

Not sure what you mean by $70 CITES import permit.. there is no $70 CITES import permit. PPQ form 621/622 is for the general permit.

The CITES permit and the phytosanitary certificate are issued by the authorities of the exporting country. You must supply them with your import permit AND in some cases your general permit. The general permit is technically for businesses only but it often causes a mess load of problems if a package arrives in the US without a general permit regardless if you technically need it or not.

Tony

By the way it reads, no you don't need the 621 to import most Nepenthes. But it seems that everyone involved in the USDA is not on the same page, and when a USDA biologist in California calls me and tells me the 621 is needed and my name is flagged so that the next order that comes without it will be nabbed, what should I do? I went ahead and ordered the $70 621. If they destroy the plants or give them to a collection, and then after much effort I prove them wrong, do they reimburse me or replace the plants? Heck no!

Regards,

Joe

So, if I was to order a N. Rafflesiana from borneo, I would need the General Permit as a precaution. In addition to
PPQ form 587. Then the person I'm buying from would need a CITES permit and a Photosanitary Certificate. Ok. Now I understand.
tounge.gif

Back