What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you make peat tea?

• Thread starter kqntb4life
  • Start date
Hello, I have a few questions. How do you make peat tea, what plants can you use it on, how often do I use it and how do I use it?

Just nicked this from the VFT section, hope it helps:

"Peat tea... Make Tea!  You can just toss the peat in some water and strain it later or you can put the peat in some cheesecloth and tie it off like a giant teabag.  Either way..let it sit for a few days.. a week.. etc in a warm spot until the water is brown.  The idea is to leach the tannic acid out of the peat."

As to how often I am not 100% sure, but I think every year/2 years... :confused: but it depends on how old your soil is. If it's been round for a while it will lose it's acidity, so needs replacing by repotting, peat tea etc.

I only have VFTs so can not really answer the what plants Q, sorry.

(Edited by Oli G at 7:26 am on April 26, 2002)

thanks for the quick reply, well I'll go get started on that
smile.gif

What do you do with the peat after you've made tea with it? Seems like it should still be good for something.

I use it to lightly season my salads...

smile.gif
Actually, why not use it?
smile.gif
throw it into some organic compost mix, or dress a flower pot with it.

I agree with Ram, use it on something else. I use mine as media for my snake cage.

Pyro

Mmmmmmm... peat salad, garnished with a little NZ long fiber.

Hi Tamlin, interesting post! I wonder however, where Rob mentions that he was worried about bacterial contamination, if you could not cool the concentrait, put it in jars and can it, therby avoiding both bacteria and getting burned while extending shelf life indefinitely.

Hey GC,
Why not? It works for beer, as long as the storage vessles are sterile, I think it would be best to wait until the brew had cooled. BTW: he is right, this is best cooked up outside. Yech!

I use old peat on Gardenia, they need acid soil. Once in a while on Hydrangea, acid soil turns hydrangea flowers blue, neutral keeps them white and alkaline makes them pink. Mine are usually pink because my tap water is alkaline but if I use Miracid or pot them in a peat mixture I have blue!

I have an idea. Make the tea, let it cool and settle, decant it into the containers you want to store it in and then stick it in the microwave for 2-5 minutes (enough to get it to boil.) This way you don't burn yourself and the tea will be sterile after you get it out of the microwave.

Just trying to make life a little easier.

Pyro

How can a microwave NOT make life easier???

Parasuco, When I was 5 years old I cooked eggs in the microwave and when I cut into them they exploded. I was rushed into the emergency room at kaiser...

Please be careful while using boiling liquids, poisionous fertilizers and fungicides, and live ammo. Never place shotgun shells in the microwave. Children under 30 should seek parental premission before attempting peat tea or brain surgery.

Muahahahah, sssssSSSSSSSSSS !BOOM!...hehehehehe.

Tamlin,

I sense that there may be a story there about shotgun shells and microwaves.

Crunch,

You are crazy, I like it.

Bump for Parasuco...

First, invite Pete or he'll never get any tea.

After that, just follow directions on the box. I prefer green tea, myself.

Steve

Egg story - cheese wiz personality...

Children under thirty? I'm still peeing myself laughing!

Back