Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cobra Lily - Darlingtonia Californica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    god, the cool stuff ALWAYS comes available when I will be broke for like a month. How do they bloody do that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont mean to be a little brat, but just to clairify, Darthbuck, You dont pluralize genus names... I'm sorry, I know thats rude, but Its me... :s hehehehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (pendant mode on)

Latin grammar is interesting, isn't it?

If I say "an adelae" it is correct as per modern usage, but redundant in Latin. "A (one) (of the)" could be represented simply as "adelae," especially in verse.

I suggest we do all our writing in Latin to clear up these problems.

Vale,

Steve

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh yeah....you go right on ahead and do that Steveo [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] I know nothin about latin so youre on your own there Ill just stick to what I know [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] common misspelled mispronounced english.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I knew Latin, but I don't. So I'm with unknownclown, mispronounce, misspell. Actually, I'm still trying to figure out where I pluralized a genus name.

I also didn't capitolize Darlingtonia and I misspelled Drosera. Come on, help me out, if you correct me tell me what it is that is wrong. :biggrin:

D. Buck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you said Droseria, so I assumed you were trying to say Droserae... wutever... hehehe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh I see. Nope didn't try to pluralize, just can't spell. [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

D. Buck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often correct orthogenic (spelling) errors, and hope no one will take it personally. We do want to sound proper! Incidently, I have a friend who refusses to use Latin names, and uses only the common names. At first, I thought this was very unscientific and had some contempt for this. Then I thought about it. Some of those common names have been around for generations, and it would be a shame to forget them as they too are part of CP culture, and they are all being used less these days. My original contempt turned into respect. So use what names you feel communicate, and be easy about corrections.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast