What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cobra Lily - Darlingtonia Californica

Hey All:

We now have the Cobra Lily - Darlingtonia Californica available here to our forum members first! We're about to announce them on our commercial site... but thoght we'd give you all the first shot at them.

WE have about 100 available.. For the forum members, they'll be &#363.50 each - when they go on the site.. they'll be between 5 and 7 dollars each.

If you're interested, contact me at pcrane@petflytrap.com!

awesome i have been wanting one for soooo long,this is just a sign that pft.com is getting bigger and better at what they do the best
smile.gif

How big are they? Im interested no matter what.

Well guys, should I get one? I am succesfully growing heliamphora in my terrarium... but I have killed every darlingtona I have ever had... I am thinking about trying one more time...

I alllllmost bought a cobra lily the other day at Lowes...felt sorry for it all squashed in a cup. I finally put it back. Later I kinda regretted it after seeing Arie's photo again.

Maybe I will give another one a try. Like Ram, I've killed the 2 I tried.

Hmmmmm....

Hey Ram...how 'bout we each get one and see who kills it the fastest?? I'M KIDDING!!! :biggrin:

Suzanne

Don't worry Rampuppy, you'll get the hang of it!!! I already killed my first Cobra Lily.

Hey Phil or Jeff which type do you have the plain green or green with the red "tongues"? Sorry I'm not up on thier technical names for each one.

I'd say definitely get one. Maybe this time it will do OK. I bought a darlingtonia a year ago (a big one), then read in the CP FAQ something to the effect 'enjoy how it looks now, it will likely die'. It didn't die, it grew like a weed. In the course of the first year it sent up two very nice sized off shoots and a third small one. Only thing I did was put it under lights in a water tray in the basement and put distilled H20 ice on it every night (well almost every night). This is my favorite CP plant in my collection.

Maybe it is just that some people are good with certain plants. Myself... Droseria seem to kick my A&#36&#36.

Just my &#360.02.

D. Buck.

god, the cool stuff ALWAYS comes available when I will be broke for like a month. How do they bloody do that?

I dont mean to be a little brat, but just to clairify, Darthbuck, You dont pluralize genus names... I'm sorry, I know thats rude, but Its me... :s hehehehe

(pendant mode on)

Latin grammar is interesting, isn't it?

If I say "an adelae" it is correct as per modern usage, but redundant in Latin. "A (one) (of the)" could be represented simply as "adelae," especially in verse.

I suggest we do all our writing in Latin to clear up these problems.

Vale,

Steve

Uh yeah....you go right on ahead and do that Steveo
smile.gif
I know nothin about latin so youre on your own there Ill just stick to what I know
smile.gif
common misspelled mispronounced english.

I wish I knew Latin, but I don't. So I'm with unknownclown, mispronounce, misspell. Actually, I'm still trying to figure out where I pluralized a genus name.

I also didn't capitolize Darlingtonia and I misspelled Drosera. Come on, help me out, if you correct me tell me what it is that is wrong. :biggrin:

D. Buck.

Well, you said Droseria, so I assumed you were trying to say Droserae... wutever... hehehe.

Ahh I see. Nope didn't try to pluralize, just can't spell.
smile.gif

D. Buck.

I often correct orthogenic (spelling) errors, and hope no one will take it personally. We do want to sound proper! Incidently, I have a friend who refusses to use Latin names, and uses only the common names. At first, I thought this was very unscientific and had some contempt for this. Then I thought about it. Some of those common names have been around for generations, and it would be a shame to forget them as they too are part of CP culture, and they are all being used less these days. My original contempt turned into respect. So use what names you feel communicate, and be easy about corrections.

Ahh HA! I'm not the *ONLY* one that uses common names!!!!

I just HATE using the scientific names.. yes, it is contempt
smile.gif
I think these plants are so appealing... that they should be simplified to an extent, in order to bring in a whole new type of grower. The scientific stuff... well, I think it would scare a bunch of would be newbies... I've almost proven the point, by simply putting up about 12 plants on our site... that are somewhat common ... but not among those who know nothing about carnivorous plants. Then we get ONE person who will come by, just to purchase a basic flytrap... then see there are SO many other cool things that they can get too!

I thought of this... when I was into orchids for a while. The crosses, hybrids, etc scared the #### out of me... so I dropped the hobby and moved on to CPs.... now that I can relate to them on a novice as well as professional level... I feel more comfortable growing them AND teaching others about them... of all ages!

Works well for me
smile.gif

So Tamlin, my dear friend... don't hate me cuz I'm beautiful... . or cuz I use common names
smile.gif

<grin>

:wink:

Phil...I hate you because you have more CPs than me. :biggrin: You have hundreds and I have a handful. Then again...you have to take care of alllllllllllllllllllllllllll those plants. All that water!! But you DO have a slave to help you too. So...yeah, I hate ya. lol J/K!

Suzanne

Back