What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storing the venus flytrap for the winter season

V

VTMan

I bought my Red Dragon Venus Flytrap from this site in late spring/early summer of this year.  At present our temps have been quite low, sunshine has also been at a premium.  I noticed my Venus Flytrap "Charlie", has been slowing down quite alot....do you think I should put "Charlie" away in my fridge until Feb or should I keep him out and keep watering.  If I should put "Charlie" in my fridge....what container should I use?   Please this is the first time I ever owned a Venus FlyTrap and "Charlie's" been doing quite good during the year.  Please Help!  
sad.gif

Sounds like "Charlie" is redy for dormancy, yes! This year is my first dormancy year too. I put on of mine in the fridge. I just removed the tray from the bottom of the pot, put the whole thing (plant and pot) in a sealed ziploc baggie and tossed it in the fridge. 2 weeks so far, all's good! Just check it periodically for sogns of mold. The humidity in the soil should be enough to keep the plant moist enough for up to 3 months in a sealed bag.
smile.gif

A better plan would be to place the pot in an area just above freezing, where air can circulate: a cold porch or cellar perhaps. This would minimize the risk of mold. Otherwise the fridge will do the trick.

Back