User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Storing the venus flytrap for the winter season

VTMan
    I bought my Red Dragon Venus Flytrap from this site in late spring/early summer of this year. At present our temps have been quite low, sunshine has also been at a premium. I noticed my Venus Flytrap "Charlie", has been slowing down quite alot....do you think I should put "Charlie" away in my fridge until Feb or should I keep him out and keep watering. If I should put "Charlie" in my fridge....what container should I use? Please this is the first time I ever owned a Venus FlyTrap and "Charlie's" been doing quite good during the year. Please Help! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like "Charlie" is redy for dormancy, yes! This year is my first dormancy year too. I put on of mine in the fridge. I just removed the tray from the bottom of the pot, put the whole thing (plant and pot) in a sealed ziploc baggie and tossed it in the fridge. 2 weeks so far, all's good! Just check it periodically for sogns of mold. The humidity in the soil should be enough to keep the plant moist enough for up to 3 months in a sealed bag. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    To live we must learn to forgive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A better plan would be to place the pot in an area just above freezing, where air can circulate: a cold porch or cellar perhaps. This would minimize the risk of mold. Otherwise the fridge will do the trick.
    "Grow More, Share More"