What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello

Just wanted to pop in and say Hi.
As you can see from the description, I am new to CP's, just made my first order a few minutes ago. I bought my first house a few months back right outside of New Orleans and wanted to get a fun hobby. What better than exotic plants, and more specifically CP's.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself.

I am sure I will have a ton of questions in the upcoming weeks.

Casper

p.s. Is there a good place to get seeds from, more specifically some of the more vibrant pitcher plants? I love the look of them, and think it would be fun to start a cp from seed.

Hi and welcome to the forums!
smile.gif

If you want a helping hand you're in the right place. If you're interested in neps, I can probably manage to take a cutting of N Coccinea. Who needs stinking vfts and sarrs anyway!
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Jœl

Just googled em, and they are truely a stunning plant, that would be great of you to send me a clipping. I would gladdly pay any shipping and handling charges that occur.

Thank you kindly for the welcome as well.

Casper

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mindmaze128 @ Sep. 08 2003,4:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Who needs stinking vfts and sarrs anyway![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Nyah nyah nyah Mr. Nep man  
tounge.gif
pPpPpPp~~~

lmao
biggrin.gif

Steve (Proud VFT owner!! )

Oh yeah btw... Welcome to the forums Casper
smile.gif

Steve

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (vft guy in SJ @ Sep. 08 2003,6:O6)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
Who needs stinking vfts and sarrs anyway!
<span id='postcolor'>
Nyah nyah nyah Mr. Nep man  
tounge.gif
pPpPpPp~~~[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>[/QUOTE]

I second that!!!
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

He's just trying to suck you deeper into the thrall of CPs..........so you will be just like the rest of us.  Mwahahahaha!!!!!

I think I gotta lay off the caffiene a bit.
rolleyes.gif

Welcome to the forums
smile.gif
!!

Hey folks! Look! We landed another one!
rolleyes.gif
Muuuaaahhhahahahah
biggrin.gif

Hi Casper

Welcome to the forums and to the addiction. All it takes are those first few innnocent little plants.....and you're snagged.
smile.gif

I think you'll find you've discovered a great hobby. CPs are beautiful and rewarding plants and the CP community couldn't be nicer and more dedicated.

What plants did you order?

OK...now here's the scoop. Forget those sarras, neps and VFTs. Its the SUNDEWS that you really want! lol

I'm kidding. All the CPs are great. Each one has their own beauty. There's lots of help here and friends too.

Let us know when your plants come in.

Suzanne

Hi casper! Welcome to the forums. I'm sure you'll enjoy the CP hobby and you might even become CP obsessed like the rest of us!!!
smile.gif
If you want to get a jumpstart on how to grow these fascinating plants then i recommend ordering The Savage Garden written by Peter D'Amato.  It has pretty much everything you need to know in it.  I got mine from amazon and here's a link to it if you're interested!

The Savage Garden

Happy growing!!!
biggrin.gif

-buckeye

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
wow.gif

Oh wait, Casper was the friendly ghost. Silly me
rolleyes.gif

Welcome, Welcome......go to the light. No wait..Don't!

Collect plants instead. I would like to help in hte endeavor. Mindmaze can help with the nep....how about a DROSERA!, Utric of ping.

Actually, I kinda wussed out. I ordered the starter set. I really would like a plant of each genere, and it seemed like a good way to start out. I plan on buying a few more neps, and who knows, whatever catches my eye.

I have a huge backyard, and I think with my local temps (New Orleans, very tropical) that I could make a nice outdoor cp garden. I need to do a lot more research before I attempt that though. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Casper

EDIT: Btw, thank you all for the kind welcome.

Hello Casper,

welcome to the forums, you chose the right forum to come to.  Everyone here answers questions with fantastic knowledge and kindness.

As for an outdoor CP bog garden I don't think there is much of a winter in Louisana, almost all CP's need a dormancy period.  But I could be wrong I am no expert, their may be a way to do it.  From what I've heard the bog gardens are a lot of work too, it would be fun to have one though, I wish I could have one.

Good luck with all your new plants coming
smile.gif
 I am not sure if you know this yet but the most important thing is to only water them with distilled, reverse osmosis, or rain water.  Tap water will kill them
wow.gif

Hi Casper, and welcome!
New Orleans, eh? How much winter do you get? That will dictate what kind of plants you can have in an outdoor garden. You will probubly be able to plant most sarracenia (pitcher plants). I'll hold off on any other musings until I hear more about your average winter...
rolleyes.gif

Our winter is very odd, it ranges greatly from 40 degrees to 70ish through the winter. Basically, you have to open the door in the morning to see if you need to wear shorts, or bundle up. It is not un-common for us to be able to wear short sleeved shirts on Christmas day. We rarely get hard freezes (maybe 1 every 3-4 years)

So in short, the temp is anything but constant in the winter, gets bitterly cold when the cold fronts move down, and warms up a tad when they move out (yes, 40 degrees is bitterly cold to us, in the last 5 years it has snowed once, and the gov. shut down the city because of an inch of snow)

Casper

Wow. 40 is cold? wimp.
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Try D. capensis. You can leave that outside all year long in that kind of weather, and they can take your occaisional hard freeze with no trouble. They'll sometimes die back to the root if it lasts a few days, but they bounce right back.

And what do you know? They sell 'em here at Exotic Gardens....What a coinkydink!
rolleyes.gif

Back