What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spaghnum Moss

Are there any carnivorous plants that can not survive in pure spaghnum moss? When it comes down to it seems like every carnivorous plant can survive in pure spaghnum moss. Is this true? If that is true (to a certain point) wouldn't that be a good receipt for beginners (like me) than mixing soils from the start.

On a great note, I purchased my first flytrap &#364 in 12 years since living in Michigan:shocked:. Finally I found one! :biggrin: It is not in great shape but it will have a second chance at life living with me...:)

travis

Travis, I believe the Dewy Pine, or Drosophyllum, likes a more base soil than peat, but I can't remember for sure. It's been a while since I read up on them, and i never ordered my seed.

You are correct Ram, Drosophyllum definitly doesn't like straight sphag as a media. Others would include Mexi-Pings and tuberous Drosera.

Travis,

In a sense you are correct that straight sphag would be the best recommendation for beginners, That said, it is generally easier to find good high grade peat than it is to find high grade sphag. Also, peat and perlite tend to be significantly cheaper than sphag.

Pyro

Keep in mind that Peat moss and Sphagnum peat moss are the same. Just Sphagnum moss is usually milled sphagnum (long fibered crumbled up). If you are talking about pure peat, no plant does well in it.

(Edited by Statik2426 at 6:56 pm on May 22, 2002)

I thought that sphagnum moss refers to long-fibered sphagnum and sphagnum peat moss refers to peat???
Milled sphagnum is sold as milled sphagnum. Some cp's (utrics, genlisea etc.) grow quite well in pure peat.

Using pure sphagnum all the time can add to a hefty sum&#36&#36 Plants like most pygmy droserae will not grow well in pure sphagnum as the medium is too loose. The same goes for petiolaris droserae that prefer very open mixes.

A lot of cps can grow in pure sphagnum, but they could grow better in other mixes. Cps come from all over the world. One mix will not suit them all.

Plants that don't grow in pure Sphagnum :

Byblis, Drosophyllum, pygmae and tuberous Drosera, mexican Pinguicula, Genlisea, Roridula, small Utricularia,...

Cephalotus, Dionaea, "subtropical" Drosera, Heliamphora, Pinguicula, most Nepenthes and Sarracenia grow signififantly better in other media.

I use it only for some big Utricularia, Drosera schizandra, some Heliamphora, one Darlingtonia and a few highland Nepenthes. I tried other plants, too, but for most plants it is not ideal.

You can't use pure LFS in very big pots because it will rot very fast there...

Martin

But if you use living sphagnum in a large pot it won't rot! :biggrin: (That's what I use)
smile.gif

n.g : and HOW LONG do you use it ....
confused.gif
???
and what do you meen with "large" ?

just wait... !

Martin,

I must argue with you on a couple points. Genlisea grow very well in LF and milled sphag. My largest Genlisea plants are all grown in it. Most any Utric grows well in LF or milled sphag as well, at least all the ones I grow.

Pyro

I have my ventrocosa (sp?) in Long Fiber Sphagnum Moss and it is growing quite well.

I enjoy Pure Sphagnum Moss because I am unable to find other mixes or unsure w(h)eather it will harm the plant. Also unable to find just perlite around my area so having sphagnum peat moss does no good. That fact is I am not sure what 1:1 means...I am figuring that means one cup of Peat and one cup of perlite or any other mix, right? So I go by the KISS theory Keep It Simply Smarty (a little bit more polite:)).

Thanks All,
Travis

Hey Travis,

The 1:1 does indeed mean equal parts by volume of whatever you are mixing.

As for not being able to find perlite, an alternative that can be used is silica sand. You can pick this up in most garden centers and places like Lowe's and Home Depot have it on occasion too. If you are in doubt as to whether or not it is silica sand, drop a little vinegar on it, if it bubbles it is not safe for CPs. Another alternative is lava rock, it is (naturally) heavier than perlite but it holds water well and provides aeration too.

And you can always order perlite from Phil and Jeff
smile.gif

Pyro

Thanks Pyro. I will look around for some silica sand and try that vinegar test. I suppose I could order from pft.com too as an alternative.

Travis

Hi,

"...Genlisea grow very well in LF and milled sphag. My largest Genlisea plants are all grown in it. Most any Utric grows well in LF or milled sphag as well, at least all the ones I grow..."

Yes, the plants grow well but the sphagnum grows way faster !
Wait only one month and your plants are completly overgrown and die.
I also grow some of the large(!) Utris (humboldtii, reniformis and longifolia) in sphagnum but they are big enough...
Try to grow U. blanchetii or similar Utris in sphagnum !

Martin

Martin

"...Wait only one month and your plants a completly overgrown and die."

3 years for my hispidula and 9 months for my violacea and sp. 'Itacambria' and they have yet to be overgrown.

I also grow/grew sandersonii, dichotoma, tricolor and livida just fine in it.

Maybe it is the species of sphag I have or maybe it is my conditions.

####! I just noticed I misspelled Sphagnum Moss.  Well, as Bob Seger says "Against the wind".

(Edited by Travis at 3:13 pm on May 22, 2002)

I have had a pot full of Pure living Sphagnum moss for about 1.5 years or a little longer. S.Purpurea subsp. Purpurea is in it.

My problem with sphagnum is sporotrichosis.  The possiblity of getting sporotrichosis into my body from a cut or even by inhalation scares me thoroughly.  (With my orchids, I've tried substituting rockwool for sphagnum.  It more-or-less works -  but you can get lung problems from inhaling rockwool fibers, too.  So I'm really not happy with either one.)

I'm not afraid of sporethrichinosis! I am gonna enjoy growing CP in what they should be in and not worry about that. I do suggest that you SHOULD take precaustions as with any somewhat "dangerous" material.

Sporethrichinosis? you mean sporotrichosisis;)

It is very rare to get this disease and is not hard to prevent by wearing gloves. Also sphagnum can be steralized so that it does not grow. This solves any problem with it overrunning plants like genlisea.

I grow my Gubler's nep in pure LFS, and its doign exceptionally great. I have a U. calcyfida Pyro sent me, and that is in pure LFS, and it is doing hideously well as well (by hideous i mean i'm getting motion sickness from how fast its going.... wutever, dont correct me... hehe...)

Back