Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picture resolution?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with my picture problem on my laptop? When I look at uploaded pictures or pictures other people post, they seem to be all blocky and kind of blurry.

Today I looked at my uploaded images and others on this forum, on another computer, and they were crystal clear? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] I thought maybe their is someway to change this? I couldn't figure it out and I'm sick of blocky blurry images.

Even some websites the images are blurry and blocky? Thanks for any help [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

EDIT: It looks like all the picture resolutions are set as high as they go. 32 bit, could it be my internet connection?
    I miss my old signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe this has to do with the dot pitch of your laptop screen. The number of dots/pixels that make up one inch on your laptop screen is lower than that of a CRT ( a standard monitor ). Because the number of dots is lower, your images appear to be fuzzy and blocky.

The problem is also compounded by the lossy compression of JPG files. At a lower compression ratio, artifacts begin to appear. It can also happen if an image has been sharpened too much. It causes artifacts to appear in the image. However, if the image is being viewed at a higher screen resolution, those artifacts are smaller on the screen and the eye does not see them as much.

The problem can also happen on CRTs as well. For instance, I have a screen resolution of 1280x1024. I have many images on my website that look crystal clear at this resolution, but begin to get fuzzy and blocky at resolutions below 800x600. This is due to the compression ratio as well as some other image manipulations.

I hope this helps. Someone else may have a better explanation that me. I use to be very good at this sort of thing, but have been away from the tech desk a bit too long.

Nick

Careful where you crawl, it might be a trap!

http://www.carnivorium.com
    http://www.buckeyecarnivores.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My screen pixelation is 1024x768. After I take pictures off my digi cam and view them on my laptop, the pictures are crystal clear. It is just images, and a lot of other stuff that I see online that is blocky and blurry? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]
    I miss my old signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It maybe that the images are not fully downloaded to your system. Progressive jpeg files appear in a series of passes. The first pass looks blocky and blurry, with each new pass creating a sharper image. Perhaps the server is dropping the connections before the images have had their final pass.

Just a thought.
    Nick

Careful where you crawl, it might be a trap!

http://www.carnivorium.com
    http://www.buckeyecarnivores.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Image sharpness is a combination of the screen resolution and desktop dimension as well as the dimension and resolution of the image.

Perhaps your viewing photos in some sort of expanded resolution. Just checking one of my pics on the website and it is 169 x 360 pixels. My screen is set for 1024 x 768. The picture takes up only a small portion of the total 1024 x 768 area and is nice and sharp. But if I were to look at the same picture blown up to cover more area than the 169 x 360, it would lose resolution and get blurrier with increasing dimensions.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

infinitylimit
    Could you maybe tell me the specs. of your computer and what browser you are using. There are severaly possiblities. I know for instances IE and Opera have a feature will it will resize your pictures automatically online causing them to be blurry and blocky. You might also want to check if this is happening only online by checking the pictures with a different program off of your local hard drive. A program like GraphicConvertor (mac) or JpegView (IBM-Comp.)

Hope that helps.
    -IL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is all the information I could find about my computer, I don't know if this will help identify the problem?

I am using Netzero dial-up for my internet connection

Thanks for all the help, I am still trying to figure it out though?

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name CPQ49314066312
    System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
    System Model Pavilion ze4200
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~1694 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies Ltd. KE.M1.53, 12/10/2002
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)"
    User Name CPQ49314066312\Owner
    Time Zone Central Daylight Time
    Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 158.33 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 1.09 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 604.91 MB
    Page File Space 674.09 MB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Celeron ® CPU 1.70 GHZ
    448 MB of RAM
    I miss my old signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try changing the resolution on your laptop. Laptops are optimized for one resolution and if you view them at anything other than that (usually lower resolutions tho) they will appear blurry. As far as blockiness, unless your video card driver is doing the jpeg decompression it should not appear blocky unless your computer isn't set to a high enough color depth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast