What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RosePride - Is it safe for CPs?

I have recently been made aware of an aphid infestation on my <i>S. leucophylla</i>, and I am looking to obtain some Orthene to control it. I found that Home Depot sells something called "RosePride Orthenex Insect & Disease Control", which contains:

4.0% Orthene
0.75% Fenabutin-Oxide (Vendex)
3.25% Triforine

Does anyone know if the latter two ingredients are safe for carnivorous plants? Please let me know ASAP so I can get something to control the aphids!! Thanks!

Havron,
I am not sure about rosepride but to get rid of aphids on my plants I simply submerge them in a bucket of water for 2-3 days. Adding ONE drop of detergent is also beneficial as it acts as a wetting agent.
I have not found this to be effective with scale however!

Leaving the plant completely submerged in water for 2-3 days won't harm it?

thats what i was thinking, i was thinking it would harm it

It says you can in the Savage Garden, so why not save youself the money? I don't think, however, that it would be a good idea for Nepenthes, since they aren't marsh plants and probably need more air exposure to the roots.

Joel

Havron,

Why not get orthene by Ortho, I got mine at Home Depot. It works good on my cp's especially my D. capensis, which aphids absolutely love.

All I could find on their online catalog that was advertized as just Orthene was a fire are killer. Is that the one you have, or do they carry something else that I am unaware of? Thanks!

Havron,

No, that's not it.  I can't seem to find this product on the Ortho website, but here's a picture and some info on what I got.  Works great
smile.gif

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-La....Control

Submerging the plant for a couple of days won't harm your plant. I have done it myself on Sarracenia, Drosera and Dionaea with great success. Just put the plant somewhere to drain for a few hours afterwards before returning it to the water tray.

Back