User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browser hijackers! homepage hijackers!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

Really can't stand them...I've got one I can't get rid of 'cos it's a chinese website and it's not on Spybot's list.

Already WARNED my dad about going to such UNSAFE place...you know, it's NOT EASY telling your dad off when he's a traditional chinese man! LOL [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

ANyone out there who's sharing my disgust and anger?

Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you be a little more specific about the problem?

What I lack in CP knowledge, I make up for in computers. Gimme some detailed info, and I am sure I can come up with a solution.

Casper

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yup, don't you love them!?? My dad has his home page changed all the time. And i still gotta go over there and fix it for him cause he doesn't know how. lol. are you having a problem changing it back to yours? Or just letting out some anger because it happens?
    When the little thing pops up asking if i want to change mine i just tell it no. and never have a problem.
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for offering your help, so here goes...

1. The website www.sohu123.com suddenly became my homepage (startup page) when I opened IE.

2. I went to "Tools", "Internet Options" and changed it back into MSN.

3. A pop-up asked me if I want it as my homepage and I said no.

4. I switched off the computer, turned it on the next day and still find the same www.sohu123.com as my homepage!

5. Patiently, I carried out step 2-3 again. Only to find step 5 happening again.

6. Used Spybot. Realised that it cannot get rid of www.sohu123.com because it's not in its list of hijackers. www.sohu123.com is a chinese website.

7. Tried updating Spybot, scanning everytime I turn on the computer but they all don't work.

adnedarn: It's not a one-off thing that why I'm complaining.

casper: Thanks, I desperately need your expertise 'cos I'm better in CP knowledge (applicable to where I am) than computer stuff. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cindy,

There are a number of spyware programs that will do this by running a script everytime your computer starts up. N-case is the most common one, though I'm not familiar with the page you listed. Try going into your add/remove program list and looking for things that shouldn't be there (especially anything that says N-case). After removing a few you may find the problem fixed. Good luck.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand. Not being in the world of PC #### ('cept at work), what causes that and why would anyone want to do that? I don't get it. How do you hijack a browser or homepage? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PlantAKiss,

It's really quite simple to do. A web page can use a program written in javascript. Javascript can do these things because it was designed to make web pages more interesting and interactive. It can be turned off for safety, but most sites nowadays won't work without it. A more common method is to include software along with something you want. For instance, you download a free mp3 player. When you install it you say 'yes' to 50 prompts, and one of them happens to be to install this other spyware application that will change you homepage (among other things).

Why? To make money. You see, if you go to a page and view a banner, there is a 0.2% chance you will click on it (statistically). If you do, the web page owner makes anywhere from $0.01 to $0.20. If you see a popup on that page, the owner makes some $0.002 to $0.005. This is how many free services (like some of my own sites) support themselves.

Now, imagine if you had no morale values. You could sneak a program on hundreds of thousands of computers, and reset their homepage on startup to a page with a popup. Imagine it takes the 100,000 visitors 10 visitors to your page to realize what's happenning and stop it. You now have made $0.002 x 1,000,000 visits (10 visits/computer x 100,000 visitors) which comes out to $2000. Of course, it's REALLY hard, even if you're that underhanded, to get that many visitors...but that's the driving force.

Hope that helped. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, first thing I would do is run Ad-aware. Ad-aware along with spybot usually clear up about 98% of the "Hijackers".

Now, if that doesn't work, we need to do some registry tweakin (great fun)

You can also install a nifty little program called Browser Hijack Blaster 1.0.

Let me know if ad-aware or the blaster does not work, then we will move into Reg-cleaners. (I don't have a definative answer because after numerous google searches it seams you have a chinese spyware program. And, well, I don't read chinese that well.

Linkage

Browser Hijack blaster 1.0
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3786

Ad-aware (try this first)
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=506

Hope this helps

Casper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast