What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cool. i'll be at jackson bog at 11am, food in hand. i'll be in a green, 2 door, dodge neon.

till saturday...
brian
aka: technoracer

I will be in a green Dodge Grand Caravan with license plate FLYTRAP. I will be there around 11.

see ya tommarow everyone!!

Ok, the weather conditions have changed again. It looks like rain after 3 PM. Bring and umbrella or rain coat. Boardwalks do get slippery when wet.

Gents - I have to work after all so will not be there - Please be sure to take lots of pictures and put a write up here about the trip.

Cheers

okay, heres what i saw, we first wacked onto the bouardwalk and i noticed some flowers, pitcher plant floweres! they were flourishing nicly, we saw a lot these flowers stickin out'a the grass, finding the drosera was harder, we had to go in part of the river to get shots of them, there were millions of them!!! im suprised there considered an endagered sp.!!! at the end i saw Nick, when we got to the van he ran up and gave me a nep cutting(WOOHOO&#33
wink.gif
and a pygmy sundew(WOOHOO!&#33
wink.gif
thanks alot Nick!!! oh yeah, and do you just put the cuttings in water? do they eventully form roots and you put them in a pot? thanks in advance!!!

okay, heres what i saw, we first wacked onto the bouardwalk and i noticed some flowers, pitcher plant floweres! they were flourishing nicly, we saw a lot these flowers stickin out'a the grass, finding the drosera was harder, we had to go in part of the river to get shots of them, there were millions of them!!! im suprised there considered an endagered sp.!!! at the end i saw Nick, when we got to the van he ran up and gave me a nep cutting(WOOHOO!&#33
wink.gif
) and a pygmy sundew(WOOHOO!&#33
wink.gif
) thanks alot Nick!!! oh yeah, and do you just put the cuttings in water? do they eventully form roots and you put them in a pot? thanks in advance!!!

mod please delete last post...

The Nepenthes is an N. ventrata and it will root in water. I have rooted several this way. You can also pot it in sphagnum moss and put the cutting in a bag. I have had better luck rooting the plants in water.

I will post more about the trip once I get some sleep. I do want to say sorry for being late. I found out this morning that my bank card bad been stollen and used. I spent some time sorting that out.

the bogs yesterday were amazing...  we started at the jackson bog.  i had never been to this bog (never been to either bog, in fact&#33
wink.gif
, even though it is owned by my old school district!  it's literally located about 150 yards from where i went to high school.  
 the bog / park grounds are very well maintained.  there's a full boardwalk running the whole way through the wet lands, bathrooms, picnic area's, ect...  the bog is very nice.  upon entering the bog, the first viewing platform you come to overlooks a small area of s. purpurea growing.  there were roughly 2 dozen plants in flower right there before my eyes.  amazing!  further along the trail, you're greeted with more purpurea's here and there...
 ozzy, his wife, and i came to a small clearing with mostly small, low growing plants, shallow running, rocky water, when he said "there's probabaly some sundews here..." (that's a prarphrase...).  sure enough, although very hard to see from the trail, you could see them!  if you didn't know what to look for, you would miss them (as i'm sure most of the non cp'ers do&#33
wink.gif
...  actually, i wish that who ever maintains the grounds there, would somehow mark where they grow, so more people could enjoy these plants (some one would poach them, for sure, though...).

brown's bog, in shreve, on the other hand, is a must see for any cp'er.  it'll leave you speachless, expecially if you have never witnessed native cp's in their natural habitat (like me).  in a word, incredible.  the boardwalk at this bog is way more cp'er friendly.  there is so many s. purpureas and dews growing there, if you're not careful, you could literally trample them!  
there is a small trail from the road, leading through the woods, to the bog.  when i first entered the bog, all i could say was "wow!".  we're talking, easily over a hundred s. purpurea ssp. purpureas and, literally, thousands of sundews, growing everywhere.  there's mounds of live lfs, 12+ inches high, with pitchers just growing out of them.  sundews everywhere!  simply mindblowing.  it's almost like a dream...  i can't really describe it any better.  i know that nick has a bunch of picts.  all i can say is check them out.  well, that's not totally true.  check out the picts, then, if at all possible, go to this bog.  picts are one thing.  seeing them in person is in a totally different league.  it'll leave you in awe...

nick and ozzy (and their wives&#33
wink.gif
are truely great people.  my live has been forever enriched from this trip.  the web is such an impersonal place (although, this web site is as close as you can get to being human on the internet, and for that i must once again thank the creators, jeff and phil, for this thing we call "pet fly trap".).  untill yesterday, i had yet to meet someone in person that really loved carnivorous plants.  you guys hooked me up, and i am forever indebted to you.  if you ever need anything, give me a yell.  thank you.  you're generosity is without bounds.

this was a great trip, and i have learned a lot.  it wasn't without it's growing pains, but now we know (cell phone numbers&#33
wink.gif
.  the next trip should go a lot smoother.  

peace,
brian
aka: technoracer

This was a great trip, even though I was running late due to my credit card being stolen. I made it to the bog around 12:15. I met up with Anthony and his family when they were leaving. My license plate allowed us to meet. Mark, his wife Ruby, and Brian had been there for some time as well. I believe Brian showed up around 11 and Mark came around 11: 30. It seems that they headed down the bog trail when we arrived. My wife and I sat down to eat lunch waiting to see if anyone else was there. No one showed up, so we went on down the trail. We all ended up on the bog trail at the same time, but on different ends. It was a cat and mouse game and the cat and mouse didn't even know the other was there.

I believe it was around 3: 00 when we finally met up. I was walking back to our van when I saw two guys looking at me from the other end of the parking lot. Well, it was Mark and Brian. They had been waiting for me to come back to my van. Once we all met up, we had a blast. Mark and Brian found the Sundews at Jackson, I never actually saw them. Probably has to do with being color blind. Just makes things harder to see.

Jackson bog is a great bog. I estimate that there are over 200 Sarracenia purpurea plants at this bog. Almost every Sarracenia purpurea was in flower with more on the way. It was just amazing. I did forget to take a photo of the Pitcher Plant info board. Just too excited I guess.

We talked for some time before heading out to the next bog. We stopped at an iHop for dinner. Before that we spent some time in the Walmart parking lot talking about plants.

We got to Brown's Bog between 6:30-7. We lucked out and it didn't rain on us. Brown's Bog did not have as many Sarracenia in flower. Many plants did not appear to even have buds. However there were a great deal that were in flower. There were more plants on the South side of the bog in flower than on the North. The Sundews are everywhere. More than I remember from my past trips. Mark, Ruby, and Brian found sundews where I never even had noticed them. Even in my trips with my classmates at ATI between 1994-1996 didn't find any sundews on the South baordwalk.

I did notice that the boardwalk has sunk some sine my last visit. More of the South boardwalk was under water where only a portion had been in the early Spring.

Now, here are some photos:

Jackson Bog:

D_rotundifoliaHabitatJB.jpg

Somewhere in this rocky area are the Drosera rotundifolia. I did not see any. But they are there.

D_rotundifoliaSignJB.jpg

Sign overlooking the Sundews.

S_purpureaFlowersJB.jpg

Main Sarracenia purpurea area. You can see there are over 100 flowers just in this area. Jackson Bog is an alkaline bog vs Brown's Bog which is acidic.

S_purpureaPlantFlowersJB.jpg

A single individual Sarracenia purpurea in flower. The Sarracenia purpurea at Jackson Bog showed more growth than those at Shreve.

SnailJBview2.jpg

Found this snail on the boardwalk. I was amazed that it hadn't gotten stepped on by the group that had just passed it. However, when I got home and checked out the photo, you can see that its shell has been cracked. The snail is just a bit smaller than a quarter.

Brown's Bog:

D_rotundifoliaBB1.jpg

Some Drosera rotundifolia.

D_rotundifoliaBB2.jpg

Yummy

D_rotundifoliaBB6.jpg

More D. rotundifolia.

D_rotundifoliaBB5.jpg

S_purpureaFloating.jpg

This S. purpurea was floating in a small pool of water. You could see that it was no longer rotted in the sphagnum.

S_purpureaFlowerBudsBB.jpg

Some younger flower buds on S. purpurea.

S_purpureaFloweringBB1.jpg

S. purpurea in flower.

More photos to come.

Now... I just need a better camera.

i wish i could've gone to the browns bog..... but no.. he had to go to a ribfest, where a babyback rib is 2 bucks!!!!

I've been waiting to read Nicks post before I made one since this trip was his idea. But I guess I'll go ahead.

First I want to say that if you we're planning to go but didn't make it you missed a great trip. We have planned some other trips in the near future so keep watching we'll post any trips that we plan.

I got to the Jackson bog at 11:30. I found Brian's car before I even parked. We talked for a few minutes.  Brian said in his post that there was some "growing pains". That was an understatement, but it was still an amazing trip. The first was that we couldn't find Nick. How hard can it be to find a green caravan with plates that say's "FLYTRAP"?  The first time I went to this bog I made the mistake of going to the wrong park that just down the street. We decided that Nick could have made the same mistake, so we went to look for him. We looked in all the parking lots but we still didn't see Nick. You wouldn't believe how many green vans we're there. There must have been at least 15 or 20. We waited until about 12:15 then we decided that we would go see the plants and give Nick time to show up.
Brian's description was pretty accurate so I won't repeat it. I would like to add a little to the part where we found the D.rotundifolia's. At first I didn't think that they would be in that area because since this is a fen , sundews can only survive where there is lfs to give it the acidic conditions. I didn't see any at first. Then when I saw the lfs mounds I knew that they may be there. We got down on our knees and looked for about 15 mins and we didn't even find one.  I told my wife Ruby that I can't let her find one before I did, because I would never hear the end of it. I don't think Brian understood the true meaning of what I meant, but if anybody remembers the post earlier this year about "The Great Butterwort Hunter" You'll know what I mean. Then I saw a mound of red on one of the lfs mounds. I said I think that's them.  I then got on my knees and crawled out to another mound to look for more. This mound was next to the grass there so,  we were able to crawl to it without harming the bog in anyway. So I crawled to it and I was looking all over this mound for a sundew and then I saw one, then one more and then I realized they we're covering this whole mound, I was looking right at them the whole time, talk about not seeing the forest for the trees. I called Brian over to see them. That's the first time either one of us had seen D.rotundifolia in the wild.
We walked back to the parking lot and we found Nicks van. We walked down to the first platform with the S.purpureas, he wasn't there so we decided that we should go back and wait by his van.
Nick finally came out of the bog and the three of us talked for a long time. We then went to Wal-Mart and stood in the parking lot talking and showing off our plants. We got a few strange looks.
We left to go to Browns bog. Somehow I got nominated to lead everybody else on the drive there. I thought I would just follow the others so I didn't plan out a route to get there. I quickly looked at a map and and saw the road I needed to take. I looked at the map wrong so I missed the road we were suppose to take. I'm really sorry about that guys.
We got to browns bog. That is an amazing bog. The only thing I can think to add to Brian's description is that there are thousands of giant ferns growing all over that place.
This is one experience I'll always remember. I think I made a couple of friends yesterday. I consider everybody here at petflytrap friends, It's just different when you meet in person.

We have planned trips to some other bogs and a trip to Meijers Garden in Grand Rapids MI.  I really hope to meet more "friends" from here on some of these trips.

Nick, I guess I was writing my post as you posted yours.

Sorry, duplicate post.

I can make to the meijers. ow about we make another trip to the 2 bogs in late july or august, to see the plants be at full color. I hope then no one well get the vredit vard stolen or anything like that lol.(sorry to hear that). Then we well all be there on time.
biggrin.gif

Phil

A couple more photos;

Brown's Bog:

S_purpureaD_rotundifolia1BB.jpg

S_purpureaD_rotundifoliaBB.jpg

GroupPhoto.jpg

Group Photo.

Sounds like a great trip, I wish I could have made it. I will try to make the next one if it's not on a holiday weekend, too hard to give up family plans.

I did see some cps in Northern Michigan but not as exciting, Utricularia macrorhiza and Utricularia intermedia. I'm not 100% certain on the ID.

Keep us all posted on the next trip!

biggrin.gif

sounds like you guys had a great time... I wish I could have went... give me the date, time of day, and what bog, buy me a plane ticket, and I'll be there!
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
wow.gif
alien.gif

Back