What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cure from squirrels

timbudtwo

Shoopdawoop
For people that have problems with those darnded varmin, [shudders] squirrels. I have heard of many things to keep squirrels away. If you put sticky barriers around where you keep your plants helps ward them off. To keep them from eating bird seed people use habanero or jalapeno juices and spray it on the seed. The birds can't tell the difference. But the squirrels will hate it very much so. So i was thinking, what if you sprayed it on your cp's. I dont think it would do any damage (i havent studied it because ive never had the problem), and were you planning on eating your cp's? I hope not!

My friend Dionaea Enthusiast however enjoys eating nepenthes cuttings and U. Sandersonii in his salad, however.

Hope this Helps!
Timbo

Continual assaults with a BB-Gun over a long period worked for me. I don't see them around any more, and the squirrels got nothing but bruises.

I have one word "Tree Rats".
wink.gif

"To keep them from eating bird seed people use habanero or jalapeno juices and spray it on the seed. The birds can't tell the difference.But the squirrels will hate it very much so. So i was thinking, what if you sprayed it on your cp's. "

I think it may burn the leaves and the roots if it gets down into the soil CP's. That is only my thought but thanks for the info timbudtwo.

travis

BB gun and slingshot are my cures.
smile.gif
Next I will move onto the pellet gun.
smile.gif

I thought it was only the oil that was hot.... Hmmm... Oh well

I have been using powdered and (heh-heh) pure fox urine with some success to repel skunks, but the stuff is also known to work with squirrels. But it's definitely NOT 100% effective: the only permanent solution for me will be to erect a 24 inch metal fence secured to the ground with some cheap metal stakes. Then again, skunks are known for their digging proficiency...
sad.gif

Chris

My cat does the job for me. He likes chasing squirrels up trees.

I've read in a gardening book that squirrels don't like the smell of blood. I'm thinkin' that maybe some blood meal near the plants, or that juice from the bottom of your steak tray will work.

Buy 4 stuffed animal squirrels and impale them on sticks and place them around your plants then put some of that blood on them like Michell was talking about and hope that the crows dont fly away with your stuffed animals
wink.gif

Sorry Im in a mood
tounge.gif
wink.gif

One of the little devils just ate all the pitchers off my N. Veitchii Im so mad.

Im about to shoot the little thing and fry him on my grill.

Jeff

I have the same problem. I've lost 3 plants to those basterds this year so far. They even break into my house every mornig and tear up my kitchen. I've been waking up every morning right before the time they come up to my house and spraying them with habenero garlic water out of a spray bottle. It seems to be working (sort of) they wait until I leave the house now mainly. But there have been less attacks on my plants and more on my food in my cabinets.

Shauntell,
Sounds like its time to hook up a fence charger to some screen.

My mom had a dog that would wait for her to leave the house, then get up on the table and eat the donuts (only did this for donuts). She had me hook my fence charger up to two peices of alluminum screen. One on a chair and the other on the table in front of the chair. He would be fine if he didn't put his paws on the second screen to get on the table. It was 3 months before he would come close to the table or chairs even for scraps.
biggrin.gif

God, I would love to fry those little #$@%&!@, but unfortunately I have a small child that is desperately trying to learn how to walk and climb at the same time. I would be too afraid to do it. Anybody know if there are any cheap beebee guns out there and if it's illegal to shoot them in a very urban area?

i don't know about shooting animals (if you want to call them that) but i shoot my bb and pellet guns in my back yard all the time. but, people know you are there. so if something happens (by you or not) they might blame you. i have never had this problem because i shoot into a home made bb/pellet trap that works really well. remember, if you shoot a bb and miss it will most likely bounce somewhere. with a pellet being made of led. they usally colaps on impact of a tree or concrete. as far as which bb/pellet gun. my most accurate is a power line 880 with a 4-9 x scope. i think the whole setup was like 50 bucks or so... i can shoot within a 1 inch bulls eye from 100 feet with it. living in tucson i can't have my plants outside though so i don't have this problem. well, that and we don't have squirrels just running arround all over the place. :).
lates,
andrew

I only have a total of maybe ten CP's, and I have made sort of a chicken wire green house it protects from varments and it will keep bugs out so all of my VFT's don't catch too many bugs, it also keeps the humidity a little higher around my plants to, works great for me. But it may not work if you have a big collection of plants.

My problem is that they've seemed to have lost interest in my plants and are now attacking my house. I would like to scare them to the point that they won't even look in my direction let alone break in. I don't want to kill them just scare them away permanantly.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shauntell @ Aug. 24 2002,10:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They even break into my house every mornig and tear up my kitchen.  [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Maybe a good thing to try is water, (3 parts) rubbing alcohol (1 part), spearmint and/or peppermint oil (I used both, essential oils work best. About 20-25 drops eachdepending on the size of your bottle. ). Put it in a spray bottle and spray it around the areas that you figure the squirrels are getting in. It worked like a charm on our mouse problem. He was getting in under the sink, so I sprayed under there every night. No sign of him again yet, and it's been months! Best of all, it's all non-toxic, so if you've got pets, kids or plants near the same area, it won't harm!  
wink.gif

Cool. I'll have to try that. Much cheaper then a beebee gun and less time consuming. All though it would be fun too shoot those little smucks. Hmmm...I guess I'll stick with the safe methods and then if that doesn't work resort to violence.

biggrin.gif

Most of the aroma-therapy books I've been reading share the opinion that a good pest control method is the mint oils. For some reason they just don't like it. Even ants! Plus, they smell nice, so you do't have to use something that stinks up the place with chemicals!
wink.gif

God, I would really like to fry those little but unfortunately i have a little kid that is seriously trying to comprehend how basically strolling and go up at the same time i would be too afraid to do it anybody know if there are any affordable beebee weaponry out there and if it's illegal to catch them in a very town area?

Back