What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

soil

Would anyone know the differnce between vermaculite and perlite? I got vermaculite to mix into my peat, because it seems the same except less blow away in the windish. Is this okay for my plants? I havn't acttually seen it listed on a CP site as a soil lightener, but it is one. Thanks
smile.gif

-Darcie

Vermiculite actually takes away from the acidity from the peat.

The perlite does not have that effect on the soil composition.

To me, that is the only difference
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jaie @ Sep. 23 2002,3:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Vermiculite actually takes away from the acidity from the peat.

The perlite does not have that effect on the soil composition.

To me, that is the only difference
smile.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Does this mean I need to buy a new bag of perlite? How much does this stuff destroy acidty, is it enough to bother my plant

Vermiculite is a mineral, whereas perlite has a neutral effect. I wouldn't risk the vermiculite, sorry!
confused.gif

What are you planting? If it's sundews or vft, you can mix peat with either perlite or sand and they'll do well, or use long fibered sphagnum.
A few plants do ok with vermiculite, I usually use it for nepenthes (along with peat and perlite), but as far as I know sundews don't like it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Alvin Meister @ Sep. 23 2002,5:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Vermiculite is a mineral, whereas perlite has a neutral effect. I wouldn't risk the vermiculite, sorry!  
confused.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Ahhhh I AM MAD AT THE STORE! ... Perlite is also a mineral, it's a foarm of cooled lava.

Now now, if we're gonna correct ppl, then let's say that perlite is a a rock... not a mineral.
wink.gif

rocks are made up of minerals, but lets just leave it, lol. I am so going to go balistic at the plant people at that shop. Grrrrr.

Vermiculite and perlite are both rocks.  Vermiculite is chemically inert with a pH between 7.0 and 9.0.  Perlite has a pH between 6.5 and 8.0

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BigCarnivourKid @ Sep. 24 2002,06:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Vermiculite and perlite are both rocks.  Vermiculite is chemically inert with a pH between 7.0 and 9.0.  Perlite has a pH between 6.5 and 8.0[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
So wait.  Does this mean vermaculite does nothing?  I can use it?  Why have people said Vermaculite changes PH if it is inert? Is their a way I can counteract the slightly more basic structure of vermaculite? What PH effect does sand have then?

hey,
i have seeds of sundews in a mix with a lot of vermiculite in it. they are sprouting like crazy, with no adverse affects that i can see, and i am sure i have used it on others plants as well i believe i have a pot of vft's that are doing well in a mix with vermiculite in it. but i cant tell the plants cover the mediuim too much.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Joel
biggrin.gif

I use vermiculite in all of my nepenthes mediums, and I use it soully for the propagation of them. My plants are large and healthy. I do not use it with anything but my Nepenthes.

I've tried to root Nep cuttings in vermiculite. Didn't work. Perlite was and still is perfect. For me.
smile.gif

Cindy your back! Long time no see!!!!  
smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

BTW, Vermiculite is a good additive in a small amount to some Nepenthes soil. Perlite is good for opening out a mix. No need to worry about minerals leaching into you soil, just flush pots once in a while if Vermiculaite is heavy in your components of your mix.

Back