Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whatzzz Up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Hah... My first was one that I cant remember... Its dead, it was dead within a few weeks. A few more VFTs that croaked, and then I went to the Ex (a gigantic fair). Inside, in the garden section, there were ppl selling stuff... I was like, oooh. I stumbled upon a few CPs... I begged my parents to buy me one. They said no, because i would kill it like i did the rest. I thought i was a smart because I knew that this was a butterwort that i saw... I wanted it... I pretened to be a know it all, because my trusy thousand year old encyclopedia had picutres of CPs in it... NO care tips, just what and why they were... The butterwort lived a bit... till i fed it egg (the, um, next day) like the guy at the place said... It was hard boiled, but a fairly good sized chunk... It turned gross slimey brown, then the other side of the plant turned the same color (As the egg) it died. This other time. I bought a venus flytrap... To my recolection it was huge, and there may have been more than one plant, like a circle of them, but my mom said there was only one, and it was normal sized. Anyhow, she turned around and tried to spank me (we were driving home) because i was being a little brat, and she broke my plant!!!!! I'm sure now that i could have revived it if i knew how, she just broke some leaves... We pulled into another garden center and bought me a replacement (after my appology for being a brat)... I dont remember that plant AT ALL...

Many years passed. I'm sure there were a few VFTs in those years that i killed with hamburger as soon as i got home, but i dont have clear memories about them...

Feb. 17, 2002.
    I get another VFT... Now I'm sixteen... Capable of researching on the internet. Housing enough will power to not prod... Harbouring love, for plants... To this day, that plant is alive, and chewing sow bug... wow, two mothes... Uh, since then though, my collection has grown... ALOT!!! Here wut i have: Gubler's Nepenthes, Drosera rotundifolia, Sarracenia purpurea, Dionaea Muscipula(two adults, six babies that may or may not live... they were almost seedlings in a small pot when i bout them a week ago)... I'de say thats quite a bit... Oh, not to mention the S. Flava, D. muscipula, Ceph, D. binata, D. capensis and D. vulgaris seeds I'm growing!!! On its way, from good ol pyro, is a Utricularia calcyfida in the mail!!!

This is my story... I know that i can make them live now though because i am actually capable, before i lacked a few skills, you know??? Ah, how nice it is to see enzymes pooling in the palms of my rotundifolia...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THIS IS GREAT!!! I'm so glad...It is nice to know that I am not the only one that struggled but never gave up on CP's. I'm with Larry, I love reading about how people got started collecting CP's. This makes me want hug a huge Sundew...wait...maybe a Pitcher plant or a Venus Fly Trap...O' I will just hug them all. ;-] Hopefully as I get better taking care of CPs I can help more people.

Trav

(Edited by Travis at 7:31 pm on April 3, 2002)

(Edited by Travis at 7:39 pm on April 3, 2002)

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I don't specifically remember it, I know I tried a flytrap or two as a kid...and fed them hamburger because the instructions said to. And of course they died.

A bit over a year ago I just picked up a VFT and decided to try it just for a new plant. I looked up info on them on the web...and the...um....infamous GardenWeb. I started reading all the posts and got interesting in trying other plants. And like just about everybody, got D'Amatos Savage Garden. And of course it went from there. Being a collector at heart, I had to try a little of everything. From VFTs to a sarracenia...to a nepenthes. But what I really wanted was a sundew! They are harder to find locally. I finally found ONE pot with two tiny, half dead sundews. I didn't think they'd live but they were the only ones I had found so I bought them. And I'm happy to report I still have them and they look nothing like they did when I bought them. They are healthy and beautiful! Bit by bit, I'm adding more plants as time, money and space allow. I love all my CPs but sundews remain my favorites (oh and my byblis). :-) There are many I still want and hope to have someday.

CPs are definitely something you get hooked on. You can't have just one. :-) Is there ANYONE who bought just one CP and never got the desire to get another...and another...and ......

Suzanne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This will be short because my history with CPs is short.

I remember at some point in my childhood, probably around 10, seeing a special on PBS about CPs and being intrigued. I remember thinking a venus flytrap would be the perfect comliment to my already large collection of lizards, snakes, turtles, frogs, tarantulas, newts, salamanders and of course the ever popular guenea pig.

With much of my family being school teachers, I was able to find CP rhizomes for sale in a Frey Scientific catalog. I ordered some venus fly traps, pitcher plants (purpera I think), sundews (no idea what kind) and a butterwort (?). Like most of you, I killed all but the purpera. probably a combination of the 10 gallon tank with 100% humidity and the tap water I was giving them. I don't remember how long the purpera survived, maybe a month or two.

Now here I am in my 6th year of college at Oklahoma State University. I decided earlier this year that I needed a plant and decided that I might as well have a plant that can eat things. I found this website, ordered a green dragon and the rest is history. I've had it a few months and it is growing vigorously with no sign of weakness. And like Suzanne said, I've just got to get more CPs!!
    Buckmaster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 1963 there was a National Geographic article that showed Dr. Paul Zahl building a terrarium with all sorts of CP. It was a good article, and I said "I'm going to do this" The article mentioned his source as the Carolina Biological Supply Co., and I wrote to them inquiring about the plants. I did a lot of research before I ordered them (they were not cheap) and also ordered the correct "soil" for the plants. I built my terrarium and the plants liked it. I flowered Pinguicula vulgaris in the spring, but lost it in the summer (didn't realize it was an alpine species). I didn't kill off to many species, and began to seek out plants from other sources. World Insectivorous Plants was a great source, and the owner Bob Hanrahan was an inspiration. I stayed into it pretty much into the 80's, and was active in the ICPS on and off, writing to everyone that published an address. There was no internet back then to hook us all together. Phill Mann stayed with me on his tour of the U.S. and showed me photos of Australian species that just blew me away. There were only a few books with good photos, and I had about worn the photos off the pages by staring at them. Phill also brought me a complete collection of the tuberous Drosera, but I had not a clue how to grow these, and lost them all. The plants led me to study Botany in college , and I specialized as much as possible in CP, reading the scientific papers on CP, and studying bog ecology and sucession. Mid-80's I had an infection in my terrarium that killed every plant in my collection, no stopping the mold, and they went FAST, which is why I always use individual pots now. Shortly after this I began a major in childrearing, and really I couldn't bear to even look at a CP photo. Now that I am retired, I again have the time and space to grow these plants, and I returned to the world of CP about this time last April to work on my online taxonomic reference for Droserae, and various other projects and research. It is a brand new world out there for CP growers compared to the old days! This is the golden age of CP in my opinion. Getting the species back I lost is like meeting old friends again, and I am as happy as I have ever been, thanks to friends all over the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, my story is pretty much the same. The first VFT I bought died within weeks, most likely from bad water, little water, and the large carpenter ant for dinner was the final straw. That was maybe 10 years ago.

Last summer I found another VFT at the grocery store and couldn't resist. Told myself I was older and wiser now and I could do this. The internet has been a wonderful resource and I took the time to learn what to do this time. Now, the verdict is not fully in yet, cause last summer's VFT is still in dormancy and I don't know if it made it through the winter yet. It did make it through at least December which is a record in my book.

Like others, my collection has grown and continues to grow as I continue to research. I want one of each; I find them to be a challenge but worth the effort.

Linda 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started with CPs in the mid 70s when I was in my early teens. I went into the hobby with my usual zeal and soon had a VFT, a sundew, a butterwort and a Darlingtonia, joined the ICPS, read every book in the library (all three of them) then accidently left my terrarium outside on a hot day and cooked them all.
    Over the years I have had reptiles (boas, iguanas), amphibians (south african bullfrog),aquariums (salt and fresh water), tarantulas, scorpions, cacti, rugosa and moss roses, tree ferns etc. etc. etc.
    My getting married put a stop to most of my hobbies, then after a sloppy divorce I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do that would "not cost an arm and a leg" or trip my alergies.
    I saw a VFT at a Fred Meyer store and it was like running into a high school sweet heart, off I went, love at first site again.
    I have to agree with Tamlin, having experenced the bad old days of the hobby, that this is the golden age of the CP hobby, so to all you younger members out there, research, learn, imagine, enjoy. And keep letting us old guys (relatively) know how you are doing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember it like it was yesterday!

It was my first day in kindergarten in Bel Aire Texas, and I hated it because we had just moved there from Boston Mass. That first day started out to be the worst day of my little 5 year old life, but then we had show and tell time. Most of the things that the kids brought in were typical kid stuff items, but there was this one little girl who brought in a VFT. To me it was just a funny looking plant... that is until she pulled out tweezers, grabbed a live fly that she had in a baggy, and put it in one of the VFT's mouth. The thing snapped shut, and it was all over for me! I believe that was the first time in my life that I was actually bewildered, and from that point on all I ever wanted was a VFT. Saddly, as the years went on I kind of forgot about them until I finally saw one in a store and bought it 25 years later.

THE END

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast