What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hi need experienced experts

hi if you are an expert at:
- drosera capensis
- common vft
- dente vft
- green dragon vft
- U. Inflata
- keeping spiders away from CP ( i love spiders and have lots on and around my house, and lots of different types too)
plz post away, none of this is urgent as of yet, but if the spider thing is actually some way of reducing spidesr coming in , especialy to pitcher plants wich i hope to get plz tell me
smile.gif
wink.gif

What exactly do you need to know? If you need basics I suggest you go to http://www.sarracenia.com and http://www.cpfaq.com

If you need any more basic info use a search engine such as http://www.google.com

If you have a specific question, ask away!
This topic you made is just to broad, except for the spider question.

Not sure if anybody is an expert at keeping spiders away from CP. Most people who grow CP aren't insect/spider lovers. I mean the insects that are unintentionally living in homes, not pets such as Tarauntulas.

The only plant I have that catch spiders regularly are VFT.
I sometimes have HUGE spiders living in Sarracenia Pitchers stealing meals from my plant. Last month I was nearly scared to death when I tried to peek inside the pitcher of S. flava... when I saw a 1.5-2" diameter clearish white spider staring back at me! The first time i've ever seen this kind of spider and hopefully my last! The biggest wild spider i've seen! (thats not a pet, like Tarantula
smile.gif
)
I simply pushed the sucker down into the pitcher with a stick and remove the web.

im glad you wrote insect/spiders
ive seen a spider about 5 inches big, not counting its legs, it makes huge spider webs around my house, and ive seen one get eaten by a bird ;'(
maybe someone around here understands how spiders and cp are friends........... ill just wait
biggrin.gif

thanks for your help statik

I've found that the spiders that come in do so in the tiny opening at the bottom and top of our sliding screen window. Same with doors in genera. As for keeping them away from CP, I have plants next to the CPs that they prefer to make webs in - and those plants are in the corners of my window. Perhaps give that a try.

that plant part sure is a good idea,  
darn spiders, theres so many types in and around my house,
in my house i mostly find this little jumping guys that dont seem to make webs, these yelllows guys that make babies all year round in my house, and  theres a lot more varieties outside like one with a huge abdomen in my composter catchin the microscopic flies
smile.gif

thanks wicked thistle

Hi Raw,

for vft growing info, visit my page at www.dionea.homestead.com. Almost all vft's need to be treated the same, the variety doesn't matter. (except in some rare cases)

Drosera capensis is easy to grow provided you give it lots of light and lots of water. I grow mine outside in souther california (low humidity) and it does well as long as the water level is kept up. min. container size is 6" by 6". If you are starting from seed (which you are
smile.gif
) then you will want to spread the seed on top of wet peat/perlite. When the seedlings have a few leaves, weed or spread them out so they are no closer than an inch from each other. Otherwise they grow very slowly.

Hope this helps,

Noah

my friend noah, what is perlite
confused.gif

and by light do you mean full sun or do you mean just like near a bright window, thx bud

Noah and I live in the land of sunburn and blisters. Full sun means full bright sunshine-on-the-leaves usually. I personally keep mine in full sun for just part of the day. It would burn to a crisp outside 'cause I live in a valley that holds heat, it really depends on where you live.

Perlite is that somewhat annoying white stuff that's like crunchy styrofoam.

If you do give it the sun wickedthistle described
smile.gif
only do a few hours or provide some kind of shade cloth. THe leaves tend to burn rather quickly otherwise. And ALWAYS keep it watered.

-noah

-by sun I meant sunny windowsill or partial shade outside and by perlite I meant a product similar to pumice that comes in little white balls and is available at your garden center.

Drosera capensis (sundew)can be grown on a window will with lots of water ?. 50/50 perlite/peat . When the seedlings have a few leaves, weed or spread them out so they are no closer than an inch from each other. Otherwise they grow very slowly.
i live in canada wich is about 43 degress above the equator, so i was thinkin if maybe i could have it in full sun for more than 3 hours ? this pft place sure has a lot of nice people
smile.gif

I live in upstate SC, and I want to make sure my vfts, pitchers, and sundew grow well..should I have them out in the open air or should I keep them inside on the windowsill to get partial sun? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
smile.gif

Hi everyone, I have a Capensis (well, it WAS a Capensis, now it's 4 Capensis(ies?) not sure of the plural...) I live in lower NY state, and I give all my plants full sun for 3-6 hours, and bright conditions for another 1-2 hours. Most of them are growing like map...except for the Nep. I guess I am in-nep-t with those pitchers...(sorry
tounge.gif
).
As far as Venus Flytraps in updates SC, well, you live where they come from!! I shouldn't think you'll have any trouble as long as they get about 4-6 hours of good sun.

Basically, if you above N. Carolina, where VFTs originate from, then you can leave your VFTs outside in full sun. I would gradually introduce them to the sun however, say 2 hours on day one, adding an hour each day.

Back