Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My plan for dormancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all,
    I am now approaching my second winter growing CPs. My first winter was a tough one, and I lost many plants. This was primarily due to a combination of inexperience, and having to move my plants into the refrigerator too quickly (I'm a college kid with a strange schedule where I relocate a lot)

This year, I hope to do things differently. I'm hoping to avoid the refrigerator entirely, as I don't like the high risk of fungus. So here is my plan:

For two to three weeks I will lower the photoperiod of my plants, and cool them down slightly (Currently outside in TX, high 80s) by bringing them inside (AC, mid 70s)

I will then keep the low photoperiod (using artificial lights) to about 7-8 hours a day.

During this time, I will keep the plants in a styrofoam container, to which I can add ice packs, or those artifical liquid cooling packs. I will try to gradually reduce the average temperature by about 10 degrees a week, until I hit about 40~45F.

When the plants have hit full dormancy, I'll stop the light, and cover up the top of the container (if needed to regulate temp). I'll keep extra cooling packed in the freezer, and swap them in and out as needed. I'll also continue to add water, but just enough to prevent drying

How does this sound for a plan? Any comments? After last winter, I am leery of putting the pots in the fridge. I would consider doing a bare root fridge dormancy, but many of my plants were repotted this year, and I don't want to further stress them.

---Lane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, it sounds like you have a carefully thought-out plan! I can't offer an opinion as this will be my first winter with CP's. But reading this was helpful...if I hadn't, I would've just popped them in the fridge without adjusting them first, and lost them! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    To live we must learn to forgive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can manage to hold the plants at a 60ish degree and keep them on a 8-10 hr photoperiod then you would probably be fine stopping there. I left many of my plants outside last winter and we had highs in the low 80's a couple time and they all did fine.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine are all outside right now, and what I'm going to do is put them in the laundrey room window. That way they get a photoperiod, but its still quite cold down there...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have overwintered some temperate Droserae at room temperature: intermedia and filiformis. Photoperiod is the most critical factor. Also I kept my intermedia almost bone dry with no ill effects, and this greatly reduces the risk of mold. Probably the other temperate Droserae would likewise be ok with this, esp. if they form good tight hibernacula under a normal photoperiod.

You sound very dedicated to caring for your plants! I go through similar effort in the summer, trying to keep Drosera uniflora's roots cool as possible, and it is a difficult process, esp. when you can't be home every day to change the cold packs!

Good luck with the dormancy
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What exactly is a photo period? I am guessing that it is a time of absolute darkness, for the plant, but I just wasn't sure? And how does the photo period work? Should you ease the plant into less and less light for dormancy? thanks for the info.
    I miss my old signature

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

dfalkanger,
    Your guess is close, it is the lenght of time the plant is exposed to light and it's easier on the plant if you shorten the photo period gradually since that's what they are used to in nature.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ohh....
    So does that mean if the plants are in a growth chamber or terrarium in a room, and I use lights in my room to see, is that messing up the photoperiod of my plants? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast