What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Herbs/Homeopathy...

• Thread starter Parasuco
  • Start date
Ooooh. heres a fun topic... How about we start listing some tips for common houshold remedies to say, oh A COLD (!!&#33
wink.gif
, or sumthing like squirrels...

Some neat herbal or homeopathic cures are fun too. I know one for squirrels.
wink.gif

Herbal Lore, is so bitchin i am doing my own studies on the craft. i would extremely recommend that everyoen would look into it. As for there are so many cures and remedies that plants that are considered weeds, can heal... but to keep it simple so that peoples minds do not go BOOM and make messies on the floor(if you knwo what i mean) I will exploit this plant in the convo, Aloe Vera! oh so soothing.... to the skin...

but anyways this convo is gonna be fun!
Cya laters
Jim
wink.gif

The only herbs/vitamins I take are:
Ginkgo Biloba- Mental Clarity
St. John Wart - Stress
Vitamin C and E - Prevents me from getting sick.
Aloe plant - Which I use on burns basically.
And the all-important Multi-mineral/Multi-Vitamin pill.
Vitamin B12 – Energy (Coffee and B12 what a great combo!!&#33
wink.gif

I am thinking of taking:
Co Q10 - is supposed to be really good for your immune system.
Garlic - Prevents colds the only draw back I will smell (not bad for me but others may not enjoy the smell)

I just love taking all sorts of pills (vitamins and herb pills)…even if the it does absolutely nothing it is just a mental thing. Plus I need all the help I can get.
wink.gif

travis

If you can remember to take the Gingko biloba, do you need it?

OOOHHH! I love this topic! I got lots, but I'll only start with ones I've had personal results with!
smile.gif

These are aromatherapy remedies.

Your kid just cracked his/her head or lip open (my son did both, one week after the other). A cold compress is the first resort while on your way to the hospital. What works even better: A cold compress made up of water, with a few drops of lavender (soothing, reduces bleeding and bruising), chamomile (anti-inflammatory and calming) and tea tree (major anti-infection agent) essential oils. Kept in the fridge and pulled out when needed. Worked like a charm...stopped the bleeding, there was practically no bruising or swelling same day or following, and he stopped crying and calmed down pretty fast! My home is never without this compress blend now.
smile.gif

Feel a cold coming on...sniffles, cough, flu, congestion? 3 drops of tea tree oil rubbed onto the base of each foot at bedtime each night until syptoms are gone (only 1 drop per foot for children). The feet hold the nerve endings to the entire body, and tea tree is famed for killing infection and bacteria. I have used it since I discovered that use for it on both myself and my kids (at least 6 months now) and none of us has had a cold symptom remain after the first day or two, let alone the fact that it never evolved into a full cold/flu.
wow.gif

Mice, small rodent and other similar pests? Mint essential oils such as peppermint or spearmint. Here is what I did when I had a mouse trying to move in to our house: Got a 120 ml. spray bottle, and mixed water, rubbing alcohol (for disinfecting since I have children), spearmint and peppermint oil (about 25-50 drops each to make it good and strong), laid a narrow strip of wax paper around the base of the wall where he was spending most of his time and put drops of the pure essential oils themselves all around it, put some on cotton balls and taped them by his entrances, and sprayed the entire area (under my sink,) with the blend I made every night before bed. I haven't seen him since, and I stopped using it months ago! For some reason rodents and the like don't like the mint oils at all...
wink.gif

Have a headache, muscle aches or tension? Menthol crystals (about a 1/4 tsp.) melted in just a few drops of a carrier oil, blend that half and half with peppermint oil in a 5 ml. dropper bottle. Massage a few drops of the blend into arthritic joints, sore muscles, or the back of your neck or on your temples for headaches (just watch those eyes, this stuff will make your eyes water)!

Ok, that's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure I've got more, but I'll leave it at this for now! Ohhh, I love this topic, thanks for posting it Parasuco!  
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

For kids with bumped heads or any other body parts I recommend creams containing extracts of Arnica montana (leopard's blane). This stuff really works, reducing inflamation and decreasing pain, on bumps and bruises. I was introduced to it by a Mom when my youngest was starting to walk and it's a miracle product. I only wish I'd known about when I was playing football (soccer) at college.

Vic

yes, I use arnica, wonderful!!
Feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium) is good for headaches. put a leaf in with your tea.
Herbs can be very useful, but if you want homeopathy you are better off seing a professional homeopath as the doses are critical. I see a homeopath regularly and he has helped me over some serious stuff.

I have one more. For those really intense days...doing hard work. Then Charlie comes to pay you a visit (a.k.a. cramp). You run over to the kitchen(hope it is not a leg cramp - that would NOT be good *hehehehe*lol) and take one teaspoon of vinegar and one teaspoon of honey. Then swig it down in a matter of seconds your cramp is gone. I speakth the truth...got it out of one the Home Remedy books.

travis
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">take one teaspoon of vinegar and one teaspoon of honey. Then swig it down in a matter of seconds your cramp is gone[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I'm afraid this might cramp my tounge, and that just defeats the purpose!
wow.gif
tounge.gif
wow.gif

Arnica is really good for muscle aches and strains too. Our local doctors and chiropractors recommend it often. For really tough work outs like martial arts and hard physical labour, our local martial arts studio swears by helichrysum essential oil. They use it all the time when the teacher or students get cramps and the like from the workouts, and they swear it works almost instantly!
smile.gif

Back