Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Peat Free composts for Sarracenia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That may be a good idea. I have a pH meter, so I can determine what dilution would be necessary to give a pH of 6.0, and how long it would take to evaporate. Can you think of any reason why acetic acid as a chemical might be harmful to CPs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Havron, so you have a pH meter, cool, do an experiment for me if you would, get a shallow plastic or glass pan, like a baking pan, and put water in it then add enough distilled vinagar in it to bring it to 6 pH then set it aside and let it evaporate. When it as about 90% gone check the pH again and see if it went up or down. When it is all gone check and see if it left any residue, but make sure the vinagar you buy does not have any salt added obviously. I was going to do this myself but I don't have any realy accurate way to measure the pH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure! I was going to perform an experiment similar to this anyways. [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] Next time I go to Publix I'll pick up some distilled white vinegar, and see what happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are yu going get it pure they always add mineral water to it. If its ph isn't 6 boil down (do this outside though it stinks otherwise)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is interesting. I performed a few experiments with my pH meter (just recalibrated prior to experiment), and I got the following results:

The distilled water I use (Crystal Springs distilled water, available here at Publix) <i>already has a pH of 6.0!</i> My chemistry professor says that this is because really pure water has essentially no buffering capacity, and even a small amount of dissolved carbon dioxide can push the pH that low. Of course, this lack of buffering capacity also means that, although pure distilled water seems to, at least in my experience, have a very-nice-for-CPs pH of 6.0, that pH could be easily upset.

Next, I bubbled some CO2 through the water (half an Alka Seltzer tablet in a separate container with a tube attatched and feeding into the water), the water was swirled to ensure even mixing of carbonation in the water, and the pH dropped as low as 5.2. An hour later the pH was 5.4. I will measure it again this afternoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is odd. I just measured the pH of the water again, and it's risen a little <i>above</i> where it started! It is now 6.2. No clue why...

Marshfield, MA (US) USDA zone 6 cold-temperate coastal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you say it has virtually no buffering capacity, just about anything could have shot the pH back up. Do you have this water in a glass container?

NG, I remember you mentioned acidic, or silver sand. Where did you obtain this sand? Thanks.
    Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's in a 9 oz plastic Solo cup, about 1/3 full or so.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast