What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormant in summer?

I am wondering if the vft, not given an ample winter dormant period, will have a dormant stage in the summer time. I have three that have gone seemingly dormant that did not have an ample winter down time. I am also wondering what type of water table they should have at this time. How long will this period of dormancy last? I have two of the three that show no growth, aka they have no leaves above ground. Thanks...

they shouldnt naturally go dormant in the summer, because the conditions simply are not there to trigger dormancy..
VFTs go dormant when temperatures fall, and the photoperiod lessens (less daylight)
neither of those conditions are present in mid-summer! in fact, conditions in mid-summer say "Grow Grow Grow"! to the plants..

So if your VFTs seem to be going dormant..its probably not dormancy.
sad.gif

sorry, but they are probably "going to sleep" permanately..

why didnt they get a dormancy this past winter?

Scot

I picked them up on a whim in CA and just kept them under light the entire time. I didn't know what I know now...

Back