Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mars approach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The planet Mars, like Earth, has clouds in its atmosphere and a deposit of ice at its north pole. But unlike Earth, Mars has no liquid water on its
    surface. The rustlike color of Mars comes from the large amount of iron in the planet's soil.
    (NASA/JPL/Malin Space Science Systems)

This month and next Earth is catching up with Mars, an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history.

The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287.

Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the last 5,000 years but it may be as long as 60,000 years.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide.

At a modest 75-power magnification Mars will look as large as the full moon to he naked eye.

Mars will be easy to spot.
    At the beginning of August Mars will rise in the east at 10 p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m.

But by the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30 a.m.

That's pretty convenient when it comes to seeing something that no human has seen in recorded history.

So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month.

Share this!
    No one alive today will ever see this again.
    "Grow More, Share More"

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ***eyes open wide with interest*** COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!! God, I MUST SEE!!! I can't wait for this! I'm so intrigued by outer space... any program on TV about anything in space, especially about black holes (they mess with time and space... huh? Whaz zat mean?) and planets and space catastrophies (like the prediction that the galaxy Andromeda will eventually collide with the Milky Way galaxy... oooooo), I'm sitting on the couch, completely absorbed and looking like a zombie and eating peanuts mechanically. LOL... anyhowees, ME MUST SEE!
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no one really knows what a black hole is. All people know right now is that it sucks up anything in its path and it dissapears forever, it just turns into nothing... I heard there is one not too far away from the milky way [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info Tamlin, I will definetly mark my calender and have my eyes peeled. Spec, some say the center of the milky way IS a black hole slowly "eating" everything including light.
    Kevin
    Kevin Peterson
    Grosse Pointe, MI

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (FlytrapGurl @ July 29 2003,12:57)
    ***eyes open wide with interest*** COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!! God, I MUST SEE!!! I can't wait for this! I'm so intrigued by outer space... any program on TV about anything in space, especially about black holes (they mess with time and space... huh? Whaz zat mean?) and planets and space catastrophies (like the prediction that the galaxy Andromeda will eventually collide with the Milky Way galaxy... oooooo), I'm sitting on the couch, completely absorbed and looking like a zombie and eating peanuts mechanically. LOL... anyhowees, ME MUST SEE![/QUOTE]
    LOL.. You sound just like me (only I eat popcorn [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] ) I can sit and be glued to a space show on NOVA or Discovery Channel that I've already seen 5 times.

Thanks for the tip Tamlin, I'll definately have to check that out.

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really pleased that you brought this up. It's really quite a fascinating event. I had my scope out this weekend for a tune-up run. I love summer viewing! I love nebulas!

I'm stoked! I encourage anyone to seek out a star party in your area. There are literally hundreds being planned around this event globally. There is likely one happening near you; and for the most part they are generally open to the public.

If you don't have a telescope and are a hermit. If you happen to have a pair of binoculars handy, you might just get a decent view.

Cheers!
    Chris
    Endlessly seeking a hybrid Dionaea muscipula big enough to eat my co-workers.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yay Tamlin! Leave it to you to bring this up on the forum. I've been waiting for this to come for about 8 months now. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] I will absolutly have my telescope out for this event! (or shall i say the durration of the event. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] )
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that scientists did know what black holes were... Just collapsed stars. Ie. the mass of a star, only infinatly small, because it's gravitational pull is so great that it collapses on itself, and by doing so, its gravitational pull gets stronger (its mass is the same, but its a smaller 'object' ), so it keeps sucking itself in, so to speak. so, obviously, things that go by it sorta get sucked in to, to put it simply.

am i far wrong?

9. Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast