What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bought my first pitcher today...

the topic pretty much tells you everything.

the long version, though, is...

i was at the garden center today, buying other things, and as always, i checked out their cp's. the vft's were pretty much all dead, as were most of the pitchers...
after walking around for a bit, i came back to look at the pitchers again. their were two that looked salavageable, one with bigger pitchers, and another with smaller pitcher, but had new growth starting. so i bought the smaller one with the new growth.
i came home and start researching how to care for it (on this site and in "the savage garden"). well, it's labled as a nep, but doesn't look like the neps on pft. the tag says it's a "cobra plant (pitcher plant)". well, it doesn't look like the "cobra plant" on page 103 of "the savge garden" either. in fact, after looking at the sarr's on here and in the book, it looks the most like an sar. purp., only, it's all green. there's no coloration on the veins at all.
so now i'm really confused. should i care for it as they say to on the tag, as a nep? or shuld i care for it as a sarr?
i took it to my buddy's house and and him take a few picts of it and the tag with his digital camera.

here's the big question:
any one wanna be a really kind cp lover and let me send you the picts (after he emails them to me) and help me identify this plant? if so, please email me at apexineon@aol.com and i'll send them to you!

thanks a bunch!
technoracer

Yup, its an S. purpurea ssp. venosa.

They sell those everywhere... They say Cobra Plan, in brackets it says Nepenthes, but the plant is a sarr... Good plant tho... Mine got about... 6 hours of direct sun a day, and it got some veining, but not too too mcuh... very fine... Mine is REALLY clumping fast. I've got LOADS of crowns on it...

crowns? what's a crown? is that where the separate plantlets come out of the soil? if so, when should i repot this sarr? it's in a kinda small pot, 3"?

cool,
thanks,
technoracer

I think its a four inch pot actually... IF you have the same as me...
wink.gif

No, wait to repot it next year, because they're gonna go dormant soon. In the spring, just before you pull them out of dormancy i believe is the rigth time...

Back