What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooks carnivorous plants

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I placed my order the form did not calculate any shipping for my order? So is it coming pony express or..?
I'm always nervous ordering from someone new especially due to bad experiences already. Up to and including non-delivery of goods. Thankfully the non-delivered goods was a book and can't "die"...

I think if it's over 70 dollars, there is no shipping. That's what happened to my order.

I have traded with Dean and the plants he sent were first rate. I prefer bare root, as I always move any new plants into my own media and pots immediately anyways. Gives me a good excuse to snip a couple of leaves/roots and get started making more.
biggrin.gif

Ok, we get that Cook's is reliable now...I think we've more than answered the origional question, but does anybody else feel guilty that we have written an entire thread on how "fantastic" Cook's is on the PFT web forum?
wink.gif

So let's hear some pleased customer tesimonials about Exotic Gardens & PFT!
smile.gif

Oops,sorry for posting this topic
sad.gif
. I guess petflytrap is being a little left out in this one...not anymore!

All of the plants that I have had shipped have always arrived in shock. and they are hard to get "growing" again for a couple of weeks, some of my plants months...except petflytrap
biggrin.gif
they always arrive in good condition and are never in shock when they arrive. the flytraps I have ordered bloomed 6 months after I got them.
biggrin.gif
and I don't see any decline in health in them,the ones from petflytrap that is.
smile.gif
(everyone says that flytraps always die after flowering in captivity..except for very, very, very experienced flytrap growers, and believe me, I'm not an expert on growing flytraps,except one, which has about 20 traps 1-1 1/2 inches long, with only one growing point! (meaning thers only one riozome. (bulb)! ) and it has the perfect redness,with a little green showing through!
Spectabilis73

I just wanted to post a followup to my post on this message. I received my order yesterday from Cooks and everything looked very nice (mostly pygmy dews). Dean also included a free D. 'Ayun Teupis' in my order so I'm plenty happy.

I got my four nepenthes today. They seem to be in pretty good condition too. Now I need to get some potting soil. Wish I could find some sphagnum moss here
sad.gif

Sphagnum peat moss will work as a potting mix if you blend it with some pearlite (so that it drains easier). Shultz/Profile is an easily findable brand at wal marts, and such stores.
True long fibered sphagnum is harder to locate, especially the NZ stuff but if you look up orchid shops online most sell NZ Sphgnum in 40ltr bundles for around $20-$30. I preffer this to the peat/pearlite mix but I have a few plants in peat/pearlite and they don't seem to be suffering at all.

Lowes carries long fiber sphagnum moss in a 432 cu. in. bag for about $5. The bag is marked "Product of Chili" and says "Long-Fiber Sphagnum Moss" on the lable. I have used it many times without problems.

Nick

Lowes in the lower 48 usualy does sell NZ sphagnum moss, and long fiber sphagnum moss, but not here in alaska. What's the maximum purportion of peat I can use in a mix?

The Wal-Marts around my area no longer carry Schultz's Sphagnum Peat Moss. That was my only source for this product!
mad.gif
Home Depot Sells the Scott's brand and not sure which brand Lowe's sells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back