Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rare plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen alot of post about people having rare plants lately and I was wondering where they get them from . I'm talking about the ones like nep. rajah , vft fused tooth , vft cup trap , saracenia oreoplila, dixie lace , drosera regia , nep lowii and others . they become more rare and more rare everyday , #### poachers and deforestationers . I am hoping to get a nep rajah in the future when i become an expert in cps and that will be my challenge unless there is another cp that is more harder to care for .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goldtrap, rajah isn't really that hard to grow as long as you can provide the right enviroment for it to grow in. yes, there are even harder Nepenthes out there to grow.
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, but still, the question is still open, where can we find these hard to find plants, specifics, details, places to look, im even interested in the answers to his questions, which are very good ones i might add [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] got my interest! lol! rajah was only one that was spoke of so far, and theres no place mentioned where to get them. does anyone know where to get any of the plants mentioned? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] inquiring minds want to know!
    follow your desires, even the spur of the moment has its purpose in life!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats weird I just found a site called www.scarnivores.com that sells rare neps for cheap prices . A nep rajah cost 25 bucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good place to look is the ICPS webring. There are a number of online nurseries some that specialize in a particular genus or two and others that offer a broader selection. It wouldn't be right to make a list of other businesses here as many of them also sell plants that PFT carries.

Goldtrap the great majority of plants sold are from tissue culture and seed grown. Many of the Nepenthes you mention are not so much rare as they are in short supply because of the demand and the time to get plants into culture and raise them to a sellable size. Nepenthes in particular take many years to grow. Sarracenia oreophila however is rare and is highly protected by the Endangered Species Act. In fact it can not be legally sold without piles of permits and paperwork.

I suggest you check out the ICPS webring or do a general search through any web search engine for whatever plant your looking for. You should come up with many nurseries. As always it is a good idea to make sure the place you would like to purchase from deals only in artificially propagated plants.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the best way is to make friends with other CPers -do your homework and ask intelligent questions, be polite, do people a favour when you can. Join a local CP club if you can.

Develop a reputation as someone who can grow plants well. You might set up a professional-looking web page, make intelligent contributions to discussion groups. Don't expect to get rare stuff if you have only been growing plants for a short time. No one wants to give plants to someone who won't care for them properly or will lose interest in a few months and let them die.

Sometimes you just have to save your money and buy a few plants now and then. Once you have a rare plant, you can propogate it and trade with other people.

S. x Dixie Lace is rare [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img] ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dodecatheon is correct, most rare species are traded or given by other growers. You need to get to know and better to allow other growers to get to know you, then you will have credibility within the community. Also being willing to share helps alot, when you have extra plants or plants that you cannot adequately care for be willing to share them with others, in return others will then share with you. The CP community is not so large that most of the serious growers do not know one another or at the least know of each other. It is important to maintain a good reputation and always to honor your trades and pay back folks who help you out - it pays big dividends.

Enough soap box - but to answer the question - there are not very many nurseries 'selling' rarer plants, the expense and risk required to get these plants TC'd or seed grown and raised to a level that makes them saleable is too high for the number of sales the nursery will get. This does not carry over the Nepenthes as a whole but still most rare nepenthes are too expensive for the hobby grower - N. argentii is dropping in price but still over $100, hard to pay out that kind of money of a 3 inch plant.

So make friends and have fun, the plants will come with time and patience.

Cheers

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast