What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rare plants

I have seen alot of post about people having rare plants lately and I was wondering where they get them from . I'm talking about the ones like nep. rajah , vft fused tooth , vft cup trap , saracenia oreoplila, dixie lace , drosera regia , nep lowii and others . they become more rare and more rare everyday , #### poachers and deforestationers . I am hoping to get a nep rajah in the future when i become an expert in cps and that will be my challenge unless there is another cp that is more harder to care for .

Goldtrap, rajah isn't really that hard to grow as long as you can provide the right enviroment for it to grow in. yes, there are even harder Nepenthes out there to grow.

ok, but still, the question is still open, where can we find these hard to find plants, specifics, details, places to look, im even interested in the answers to his questions, which are very good ones i might add
smile.gif
got my interest! lol! rajah was only one that was spoke of so far, and theres no place mentioned where to get them. does anyone know where to get any of the plants mentioned?
smile.gif
inquiring minds want to know!

A good place to look is the ICPS webring. There are a number of online nurseries some that specialize in a particular genus or two and others that offer a broader selection. It wouldn't be right to make a list of other businesses here as many of them also sell plants that PFT carries.

Goldtrap the great majority of plants sold are from tissue culture and seed grown. Many of the Nepenthes you mention are not so much rare as they are in short supply because of the demand and the time to get plants into culture and raise them to a sellable size. Nepenthes in particular take many years to grow. Sarracenia oreophila however is rare and is highly protected by the Endangered Species Act. In fact it can not be legally sold without piles of permits and paperwork.

I suggest you check out the ICPS webring or do a general search through any web search engine for whatever plant your looking for. You should come up with many nurseries. As always it is a good idea to make sure the place you would like to purchase from deals only in artificially propagated plants.
Tony

I think that the best way is to make friends with other CPers -do your homework and ask intelligent questions, be polite, do people a favour when you can. Join a local CP club if you can.

Develop a reputation as someone who can grow plants well. You might set up a professional-looking web page, make intelligent contributions to discussion groups. Don't expect to get rare stuff if you have only been growing plants for a short time. No one wants to give plants to someone who won't care for them properly or will lose interest in a few months and let them die.

Sometimes you just have to save your money and buy a few plants now and then. Once you have a rare plant, you can propogate it and trade with other people.

S. x Dixie Lace is rare
confused.gif
?

dodecatheon is correct, most rare species are traded or given by other growers. You need to get to know and better to allow other growers to get to know you, then you will have credibility within the community. Also being willing to share helps alot, when you have extra plants or plants that you cannot adequately care for be willing to share them with others, in return others will then share with you. The CP community is not so large that most of the serious growers do not know one another or at the least know of each other. It is important to maintain a good reputation and always to honor your trades and pay back folks who help you out - it pays big dividends.

Enough soap box - but to answer the question - there are not very many nurseries 'selling' rarer plants, the expense and risk required to get these plants TC'd or seed grown and raised to a level that makes them saleable is too high for the number of sales the nursery will get. This does not carry over the Nepenthes as a whole but still most rare nepenthes are too expensive for the hobby grower - N. argentii is dropping in price but still over $100, hard to pay out that kind of money of a 3 inch plant.

So make friends and have fun, the plants will come with time and patience.

Cheers

If you are looking for a place to get rare plants, look around at the people of PFT! Almost all of my rarer species came from good friends that I have made over time. So, not only do you get the plants you are looking for, you meet some VERY GREAT PEOPLE.

Cole

Heh if I had a CP club up here in Jefferson county you be your car I'd join!  
smile.gif
 I guess Me,Tony and Tamlin Dawnstar are the 3 people that make up the Western side of the New York state CP club lol. Anyhow rare plants fun to grow sometimes hard to obtain. I have an oreophila and I got mine from a friend. Simpyl had lots extra and handed it to me and said "For you."
smile.gif
Alabamensis was next handed to me and I was shocked. But they aren't hard to get, just hard to find the people who have them!  
wink.gif
 The rare Nepenthes most likely you have to buy. I know not of anyone who would give away an N.Ephippiata or an N.Argentii unless they are darn good friends with you!  
smile.gif
Personally all rare plants that are out there LEGALLY for sale are at a quite reasonable price except of course exceptions (Argentii, and soon Jaquelineae) will be quite high. So all I can say is ask around be friendly and you most liekly will get that S.Oreophila or that N.Rajah (if you pay it) and if you are nice and friendly to the seller and keep in contact with him/her for a long time they might even give you discounts periodically!  
smile.gif

wink.gif
 Good luck!

not that i have any rare plants but this is how i see it.

-newbie(1st vft)
-buys some more cps-
-propagates them-
-trades for other common plants that u dont have-
-have many different common plants-
-somehow get one rare plant-
-propagate it-
-trade those for other rare plants-
-propagate those-
-trade those for others-
-and now urr on ur way to being an expert-

and wile ur getting those new plants u are also learning

Hi,

here in Germany it is very easy to get carnivorous plants...

We have Andraes Wistuba, who sells almost every Nepenthes and Heliamphora species, we habe lokal DIY shops which sell Drosera regia, Cephalotus or Sarracenia oreophila (I bought all of these species there)
There are also very low prices for usual (and unusual) plants in the online shops. Have for excample a look at http://www.dr-e-koenig.de/shop.htm (I think I can post it here, because it is located in Germany and therefore no concurrent to petflytrap ? If not, delete it please)

On the other hand I would highly recommend to join a CP society. I have some friends which gave me Utricularia quelchii or U. endresii for free, another gave me Nepenthes murudensis or N. villosa for free (he is also a member of this board). From another one I got the Pameridea marlothii bugs living on Roridula, ...
My collection is big enough that I can also trade many plants I would like to have. If not, I can still buy them.

At the moment I could obtain almost every spezies which is in cultivation. But my space and time is limited. (and my money, too ;-) )

Sometimes you have to be patient or search for a long time (I bought some Roridula dentata seeds from Afrika, because I couldn't obtain this species in Germany at that time)

Start with a small collection, try to manage these species well, try to propagate them. Join a CP society and make friends (online or better in real life) and go to meetings. Trade some rarer plants...
Get a good job and earn a lots of money. Buy a very large greenhouse with different climate sections and buy every species which is aviable worldwide...
Propagate every species through seeds which could become extinct in nature....

Martin

Sorry to kinda side post here.

Martin - I had gotten some of the Roridula dentata seeds also, were you able to get germination from them? If so would you share how you accomplished it.

Thanks & Cheers.

goldtrap, scarnivores is Southern Carnivores, and Australian outfit... I think if you ordered from them you would learn about international exchange rates, and how much money shipping a live plant across a couple oceans would cost you!
smile.gif

AS was stated earlier, there really aren't that many 'rare' nepenthes, just ones that are harder to care for, and ones that are still working their way into bulk production from TC labs, supply and demand friend.

Also, I think the really rare specimens when you get down to it, are the mutants, like the pompom (probably the rarest formerly carnivorous plant there is) and so forth, as was stated, the rareity of these plants makes tissue culturing them a scary thing, will the traits carry over? who knows? As we move on through the years, the rare plants will become less rare, and new oddities will pop up... some may even be created... who knows..

I read an article about scientists who are trying to CREATE a life form, a single celled form of life that will be the most simple organism on the planet, with the smallest amount of DNA required to maintain 'life'. Surely in a few decades the research will move on to more complex organisms, and I wouldn't be suprised to find some entrepenuer get it in his head to pilfer with CP dna and create some truly wild things...

The morality of this is a whole nother subject and thread however!
smile.gif

Later guys.

Hi Pete :

You can read some of my experience with germination of Roridula at my homepage : http://www.drosophyllum.com/english/e-roridula.htm
From the last six seeds of Roridula dentata now all 6 germinated :) (but I lost three big Roridula plants during the last weeks)

----

There are some really rare plants out there :
For excample Nepenthes edwardsiana. I've heard of only one person who cultivates it here in Germany (propably there are more, I don't know about everybody ;-) )
Other excamples are some Utricularia which are very hard to find, for excample the Australian species like U. westonii (if someone has it drop me a mail please *g*)
Another problem are some tuberous Drosera or the tuberous U. menziesii. Finaly I bought them from a person where it is _defintly not_ sure if they are propagated in cultivation :-(

And there are species like Drosera meristocaulis or Drosera pilosa or...

Martin

There is also a distinction to be made between rare plants, and hard to get plants. For example, U. quelchii, or U. alpina, or U. geminiloba isn't really that rare, lots of people have it, but it grows slowly and it is in high demand. On the other hand, something like U. leptoplectra grows like a weed, but there just isn't very many of them around.

Another example, I suppose, is D. regia - lots of people have it, but it can be difficult to get your hands on one, vs. obscure South American Drosera species that are truly rare in cultivation.

hmm...it seems to me that rare cp's are just harder to acquire here in the US, than overseas(Europe...).

I am begining to think I would like to move to Germany! A ceph, oreophila, and regia in a store like a lowes! You are definatly lucky Martin.

Cole

WOW! ask a couple of the right questions, and watch them come out the woodwork! lol! Now this is just simply too cool! i think this is what a good topic is because of the response rate, i think they answered your questions mate! hehehe! i wanna throw a curve ball in here though, hehehe( devils grin) if petflytrap doesnt sell that many rare, or more exotic cp's, then honestly, how can posting another place that deals these types, be in any way harm to PFT, is this trully about one reaching the next level of cp care, or is it about who can make the almighty dollar? petflytrap has had the same plants for most of the year, i havent seen rajah here yet, or some of the other dews or neps that people keep talking about. i bought my first plants from frank's nursery and crafts, then like most, starting out, went to the web to find more info. on these wild plants, i found petflytrap, and some others, but! all the rest of my plants, ive bought loyally from pft, as a matter of fact, except for the sarr. species(just one ive bought here, and just one i own) i own all the types they sell here, but my real reason im here is, not for the plants, its for the forums! its for you people! its for the experience from phil, and greenhouse1! its for rampuppy, nep g, sarr0, nick, swords, and on and on and on and on! its not for the plants, you can only buy so many of the same thing!, now, im not knocking petflytrap at all about the plants, like i said, ive bought all of mine here, cept for my first 4, but, im sure theres others here that feel theyve only gone so far. they want to move farther, we cant let a measly sale prevent that, cause, like me, they are not gonna leave here for the sole purposes of buying flytrap elsewheres, its the warmth and friendship that keeps us all here! so show some faith! have a heart! show that site to your cp family, that can give them that special plant, and they will love you more for it! just thought id throw some cp plant politics in hereh, hehehehe, anyone wanna comment on this? love yas!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

ccrider - the reason that the links aren't posted is that most of the places that sell other species also sell the same species as petflytrap. It isn't hard to find them, especially if you search on the ICPS webring.

Back