User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow! new genus in papua new guinea?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am doing some trading with him and he mentioned he discovered a new genus in papua new guinea. this is his message:

"In Papua New Guinea there was a stand of plants that looked like Sars, and
    those I've consulted with say it's a new genus, but the area is lawless, and
    no one will go in there."

heres a part on his site that mentiones it: http://webpages.charter.net/tvaughan/carnies.html

this is my third post about weird new plants. hope you guys aren't getting sick of them
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think thats really cool, a new type of cp.....very interesting [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] ,
    Kevin
    Kevin Peterson
    Grosse Pointe, MI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he says theres so much violance there that everyone hes contacted wont do it.

personally, if i lived in the area i'd do it in a heartbeat. maybe some "big names" in this hobby might like.. fly there in a chopper. who knows.

but imagine how mad they would be if it wasn't what they expected. it if they cant find it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've looked everywhere. i cant find anything about a different genus in papua NG on any websites. they always just call them "pitcher plants" very frustrating.

i dunno who Mr. vaughan didn't take some of the plants. or atleast pics. if it was me i would have snatched them up!!!

he should report it to the ICPS. its too bad that the world doesn't really take CP's seriously, otherwise this genus would already be discovered and in our terrariums probably.

then agian, if it is like sarracenia, its probably pretty large so only those with large terrs can keep them [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Papua New Guinea, where is it, I belive it in South America, the plant would be somewhat like heliamphora, maybe a new, thinner and taller type?
    Kevin
    Kevin Peterson
    Grosse Pointe, MI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AUCTUALLY papua NG is very close to australia. no where near south america i'm afraid.

he e mailed me agian:

"It was 11 years ago, and they looked like a cross between Sars and
    Darlingtonia. I've contacted Australian and Papuan University botany
    departments, and no one's replied. The people who live there can't read or
    write, a European or some other educated person would have to go in there
    with a large guard."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry but this is not correct.

My uncle lived in Papua New Guinea for about 6 years and they do speak English as well as Pidgin English, and about a million local languages.
    The side of the island that is called Papua New Guinea is independently governed (the west side is called Irian Jaya and is under Indonesian rule) and is safer than the west side. I personally have not heard of anywhere in Papua that is so unstable that you cannot go there, it is Irian that is sometimes dangerous. Admittedly it may have been true 11 years ago when Tim says he was there.

I have occassional contact with someone that is interested in CP's and that works at the University of Papua and he has never mentioned this?

If someone is able to provide some real proof I am happy to go and have a look for this myself!

Cheers, Troy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seriously doubt this as well, but speculation is fun and I get a charge out of someone that can create a good myth.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast