What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unusual growth on my venus fly trap

• Thread starter catgregg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fly
C

catgregg

I have an unusual growth on my venus fly trap, it looks like a bloom stock...is this possible?

Yes, it probably is and the best thing when it is about an inch or a least accessable, cut it off so the plant does not put all its energy into flowering!

is this nessesaraly (i know i spelled that one wrong) bad for the venus fly trap?

Hi Max

You can let your plant flower if you like but most people remove the flower stalk. Producing flowers/seeds takes a lot of energy from the plant and can slow its growth or weaken it. So most people just whack the stalk off. The flowers aren't particularly striking (just little white flowers) so you won't be missing much. You can grow VFTs from seed but it takes years for them to mature so its not really worth the effort when you can buy healthy, mature plants at reasonable prices (like from Exotic Gardens) and not have to wait. If you would like to try growing plants from seed, you can try it but just be aware your plant might be exhausted from its reproductive efforts. (Ask a woman if she's tired after having a baby) lol
smile.gif

Suzanne

Back