What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am thinking of making my half whisky barrel garden into a bog next year... Every year since I can remmeber, it was My barrel, and I chose the flowers for it, and I watered it, etc... I am thinking of fitting a pond liner into it next year... I am halfway sure of how to construct it... Poke holes about half a foot to a foot up from the obttom for drainage or sumthing like that, but that is not what I'm concerned about...

Plant wise... I am definatly TRYING to get a P. vulgaris... It will be the envy of the boards that I don't have to touch it, and it survives...
wink.gif

I'll use my purp in it, so that will take up some room... I'm trying to think of a bigish dew that is temperate... I can think of rotundifolia, but its about 3 inches across (i'm trading it, but i've got a cutting that is growing well (outside mind you)), but that doesnt seem big enough... If it must though, it will suffice... Any thoughts on a different dew?

I am not sure of any other plants that are capable of being frozen into a block of peat for the whole winter... VFTs can't... Oh, buried in snow too... heh... ANY temperate utrics that you think could survive? I know they exist, I mean, they do in alaska, hehehe... Which? Terrestrial obvisously, and ones that won't smother my other plants to death...

Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks,
Greg

There are a few terrestrials that exist in temperate climates. U. subulata is the obvious one, but resupinata and cornuta should also do well. I don't know how important it would be to get material originating in cold climates. I think that commonly available cloned of those species are from warmer climates. Maybe U. monanthos - it grows in areas of New Zealand that are covered by snow for part of the year.

If you contact me next spring, I can probably help you out.

That sounds cool... If it IS possible, could we try something this fall? That way I have everything coming out of dormancy at the same time, and I can plant them, and leave them...

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Parasuco I wouldn't put pond liner in the whisky barrel because of the high costs unless you have some extra around or some scraps. Well I guess you could rip some off at Lowes (I know some guys who managed to trick the guys at Lowes, LOL it is a funny story). My dads is a gardener and he grows some plants in a whisky barrel, but instead of lining it with expensive pond liner he found a big plastic pot that fit perfectly in the top. Well, thats my two cents. Happy Growing!

Thanks for the tip! Luckily though, I'de be getting a 20% discount on it... I think that I would trust a liner more than a bag anyways... I havent checked the price. I'm dreaming first... Like with my jeans... Then I have motivation to buy them... Whats spent is spent.

Can I help you empty the barrel first?
confused.gif

Hahahaha... I didnt get it, but now I do... Whiskey barrel. Aha... Well. Like I said thouhg. I've been planting stuff in it since I can remember... There are big rocks in the bottom, then a (here is where I try to be Texan) $***load of dirt on top... Sorry. No parties tonight (grrr... I won't get started with THAT now...)... Bah.

As far as Dews go.. how about D. anglica? It grows in my backyard so I know it has handled winters down to -50F. It's larger than rotundifolia too. And being frozen into a block of peat shouldn't bother it
smile.gif

Just an idea....

Thats a wicked Idea!
I think I know where I can get one... *I hope* Hehe...

Edit: Nope. Dang.
tounge.gif

I've got a ton of them in my little bog garden.. want one?
smile.gif

sure............... that would be cool Hehe... You want more stuff then? I have some bits of this and that lying around, we can think of sumthing.

Back