What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera

HI,
I wanted to get more replies so I posted mym topic here and not in the drosera forum. I just received 4 different varieties of drosera pulchella from Tamlin Dawnstar (THANKS TAMLIN). I put each variety on a separate damp napkin then placed each damp napkin inside a its own ziploc bag. WILL THE SEEDS GERMINATE AND GROW? or did I just kill my chances of having 4 different species of drosera?

THanks,
-Aaron

you should take out and pot them all, They would prob. not
make it in a wet paper towel. but remember, these are
gemmae, not seeds
smile.gif
gemmae are just, in a way, baby plants
that grow in the middle of the plant, they don't come from
flowers, so they need to be potted in soil... but it would be
interesting to see if they sprouted and grew in the paper
towel
smile.gif

Spec73
smile.gif

Why not just plant them??? Sorry, I guess I just don't understand the whole "I would like some gemmae please!" then you get it and "Can I store them in the fridge? Will they grow in the fridge?" why ask for them if you don't wanna plant them right away? (as is recomended) it has been said a few times that they can store in the fridge temporarily... but best sown immediately.
Personally I don't know if they will sprout in the fridge. I plant mine as they come in. I would think it is possible, since these plants do grow in cooler temps. but if they do, and you are not checking. they will surely die. no light. and I think they would like a raise in the temps during the day. oh and you would want to watch the whole fungus thing too....
just my 2.5 cents
Andrew

I have been busting my butt to get these gemmae to you and others. The place for them is in the pots, not in the fridge! You certainly have had time enough to prepare to sow them. I thought I had covered this topic already: the gemmae have already been stored, by me, for as long as possible without losses.

THey aren't in the fridge they are under gro lights,but on a damp towel in a ziploc bag.

Don't wait too long, get them planted asap, unlike seeds they will not keep like this. You're ok for a day or 2. Best put them in the fridge or they will sprout. If they do, simply lay the whole sprouted gemmae flat on the "soil" surface: the roots will find their way into the mix in time, but you will have many losses. Spray them daily if this happens and hope for the best.

I just re-read the bit about the grow lights. This is very bad: you are encouraging them to grow. They will not grow in a paper towel! Put them in the fridge.

Just to clarify...

From what I gathered you want to grow these now, correct?

Put them on moist peat moss mixed with sand and place them back under the grow lights. You can put the whole bag in the ziploc bag if you want, this will make them easier to take care of at the start.

The gemmae will sprout on the paper towels and plant their roots into the paper towels and will be hard to remove. Paper (as you probably know) is not the ideal growing mixture for any cp.
smile.gif
Just pot them up and put them back under grow lights.

If your aim is to store them (which is not recommended) then put them in the fridge.

hope this clears things up.

-noah

Back