Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do u know if the plants from yur local nursery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wooow , and i was gonna buy plants from that jerk . did'nt he get sued or somethi g already , i think he should if he has'nt been , whats his website i want to see what he has and ask him tricky questions .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    deleted [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

tony glad you got that

just came back to do same thing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

At this point, I think only morons would want to wild collect CPs illigally. It's so cheap and easy to propigate your own that the only plants in any real danger are outside the USA or very very rare. What caused the origenal poaching problem wasn't people collecting plants to sell, but by people hiking in parks, seeing a cool CP and trying to bring it home as a house plant. Now that it is common knowledge that is illegal and that the plants die right away, most people won't bother to steal them anymore. And even though so jerks do dig up ones in their backyard to sell, the population of most CPs in general have recoverd so well that their are enough in other areas to keep the populations up.

As to collecting seeds and stuff, the legality of that varries by location and species.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bjorn,
    Cuttings are a no no as it would contravene CITES in some cases and also phyto sanitary laws. EG bringing in a pest on live plant material into the EU.

With seed that is a different matter, as there are no phyto rules at the moment about bringing in seed. What is important is the CITES status and also how you go about it. If for exaple you stripped a bog of every Sarracenia rubra ssp jonesii of every seed pod, you will have done damage to 1 generation. Also you would need check with the land owner and the local by laws..
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12