What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do u know if the plants from yur local nursery

I like to get ppl in truble sometimes es[ecially when they are doing something that is waay illegal . i was wondering how do you know if that plants at the local nursery were poached for ? do that have to be not in a pot or something . i remember seeing darlingtonias in a pond at my local green thumb and I don't know if they were illegally poached , unfortunitly , the plants were purchased moths ago , i did'nt want to buy them becasue i was not sure and I did'nt want to ask the ppl where they got it from because I was nervous and shy . I know that places such as exotic gardens , gubler's ,cook's , california carnivores , peter pauls , and other places will never poach for plants and are against it .I want to know so I don't go through this acidently because i am from californiaand i know that darlingtonias are from california as well .

Alot of people get wild Darlingtonia's from people that have them on thier property, and dont really care about them, my oldest plant, the one on my website, I think is even wildly collected, but I dont know for sure. Its the people that collect from reserves and illegal places, thats what gets them in trouble.
Kevin

From what I have heard look at the soil...but this cannot always tell either....I use wild sphagnum.
smile.gif
Also whether it is field collected or not....look on the bright side...it may hvae been collcted responsibly from a former site that was in jeopardy of total ahnilation.

I think these days, especially at major stores like Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. all of the CP's there are tissue cultured. When you see 100 identical plants in identical little pots, I just don't think there would be any reason to believe they were poached.
I'm sure there is still some poaching and subsequent selling of these plants at garden centers across the U.S., but I think they would be few and far between. TC plants are so much cheaper at a wholesale price and the quality and quantities far surpass that of poached plants.

I just researched this and it makes me very happy to hear this about darlingtonia .poachers beware i hope the passage " the neibors ahve orders to "shoot and kill " anybody running down holding plants ' I hope this will teach the poachers alesson and I wish this rule would happen anywhere , but still it sound very weird and cruel . i live in southern california so i don't know if if those were actually poached for .

would it be legal to take , like I go to Malaysia and took a cutting of a wild Nep. or take a seedpod of a Sarracenia in the USA?
Best regards Bjørn

yea emesis
i was trying to find berry rices page on that

wooow , and i was gonna buy plants from that jerk . did'nt he get sued or somethi g already , i think he should if he has'nt been , whats his website i want to see what he has and ask him tricky questions .

deleted
biggrin.gif

tony glad you got that

just came back to do same thing

At this point, I think only morons would want to wild collect CPs illigally. It's so cheap and easy to propigate your own that the only plants in any real danger are outside the USA or very very rare. What caused the origenal poaching problem wasn't people collecting plants to sell, but by people hiking in parks, seeing a cool CP and trying to bring it home as a house plant. Now that it is common knowledge that is illegal and that the plants die right away, most people won't bother to steal them anymore. And even though so jerks do dig up ones in their backyard to sell, the population of most CPs in general have recoverd so well that their are enough in other areas to keep the populations up.

As to collecting seeds and stuff, the legality of that varries by location and species.

Hi Bjorn,
Cuttings are a no no as it would contravene CITES in some cases and also phyto sanitary laws. EG bringing in a pest on live plant material into the EU.

With seed that is a different matter, as there are no phyto rules at the moment about bringing in seed. What is important is the CITES status and also how you go about it. If for exaple you stripped a bog of every Sarracenia rubra ssp jonesii of every seed pod, you will have done damage to 1 generation. Also you would need check with the land owner and the local by laws..

Back