Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dream Terrarium Part II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Wow! you can get geckos that cheap! Here they cost like $200 each!
    \"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?\"

\"If vegans love animals so much, why do they eat all thier food?\" - Brandonk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Pyro, your comments are seving to make my hubby (Tom for the record) one happy man I was concerned about needing to segregate the CP's but was not looking forward to having to pull apart at least half the tank to do it.

My first round of questions really is the maintence aspect; how often the cage will need cleaned out (at least to the extent of digging all the way to the bottom of the tank on a regular basis). The research I've done so far does seem to indicate an Anole is the best choice, I think I'd call the tank to be a rainforest set up and that seems to be the best climate for an Anole. Will start calling local pet shops to determine what is available. Which leads to the second question, how to determine that the animal is healthy and pest free when I get it and that it really is the breed I'm looking for----I don't think I want one that will get much bigger than 8 inches or so and what I've read so far there are various breeds (if that is the correct word) and sizes.

Well, I'll stop the questions at that for now. If this thread gets beyond interest for people out there and think it is consumming to much space; please let me know, I dont want to intrude. Thanks.
    Linda in PA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, I have a leopard gecko, and in Reptiles Magazine, it said 70% of desert geckoes do. Some geckos here cost $200, it depends on variety
    I am back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plantslikebugs,

It depends on the gecko species The typical house gecko is only about $3, tokays go for $8-$15, leopards start at about $35 and go upto something obscene like $500. Other species usually have a price to fit their rarity.

Linda,

Always glad to help, especially in the area of herps

So, answer time. For full media change out I would guess that 12 months would be about right but I have never done a dynamic CP vivarium so it might be more often. The best advice I can give is to keep an eye on your plants, they will let you know when it is time.

Here is a photo of a green anole. This guy can get to 12" but are mor commonly 6-8"
    Here is a brown anole. Usually in the 4-6" range, these are harder to find in pet shops.
    This is an okay pic of a house gecko. 3-5" and lots of fun. They can climb glass so are a bit of an escape hazard. Parthenogenic, so over time you will have the sudden appearance of babies.

For animal health, look for one that is obviously responsive and alert. Make sure that the colour is uniform and good. DO NOT get one missing a tail, yes they can grow them back but it is a pain to have to nurse on during that time. Avoid any animal with cuts or excessive abrasions. If you can, try to examine the animal for ticks and mites, these will be super tiny (pinhead or smaller.) If you find them I suggest you go to a different store, if one animal has them then likely they all do.

Good start?

Pyro
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I'm a leo enthusiust, an adult male blizzard is up to $700!
    I am back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ususally do not bring forward old threads, especially when they get to the second page; but thought I'd continue this one more time and if there is not alot of interest, I'll let it die a natural death

I have an Announcement to make, our small family of 4, plus a dog, plus a rabbit has now grown to include one cute little Anole (I won't count the twelve crickets that are intended to be food)

I did some minor rearranging in the terrarium to provide more crawling space and added a pothos plant. I still need to get a tree branch or something for the nepth to climb and may have found one that will work.

The Anole is an interesting little guy, I think its a "he" cause I watched him do a bob and weave at his reflection for a while. He was bright green at the store but turned brown shortly after getting into the tank. He kind of hung out hanging from the top of the screen under the lights then disappeared for a long time (couldn't believe i lost him so fast ) He finally reappeared by sticking his head out from the back of one of the mirrors and just hung there for a while. Infact, he spent the nite on the back of that mirror and was still there this morning. I put two crickets in this morning (but thats another story ) and sprayed the tank down before I left for work.

So far, the CP's (working to stay on topic here), love the environment and he hasn't seem to bother them at all. Will see what happens once he gets accustom to his new home
    Linda in PA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, the "hide-n-go seek lizard." I forgot to mention that to you in all our communications. Lizards are by nature secerative and so it is good to provide hiding places for them so they are not stressed by constantly being "on display." They will come out and romp about as it suits them though.

Pyro
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12