Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dream Terrarium Part II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, my 55 gal tank is set up and thanks to all the good advise, it is a success. It has passed the approval of my biggest critic (hubby), shop lights and all. Is there a way to post a picture without a web homepage? I don't have a homepage, but have a pic on my hard drive.

There are still a few minor adjustments to make, but mostly I am monitoring it to get the climate stabilized. The humidity keeps shorting out the battery in the digital theometer/hygrometer and the little plastic hygrometer does not seem to be consistant yet. Hope to get that figured out in the next few days. So far, 4 days later, the plants seem to take it well. The sundews are dewy, looks like a pitcher developing on the nepths and the non carnivors look happy. Have found a few patches of white fuzzies which I sprayed down with chamomile tea (wanted to try that before buying fungacide).

Thanks again for everyones input, it helped in developing a vission before beginning. Let me know about posting pictures, or maybe I can e-mail it to someone?

PS) My new delima is hubby likes it so much now he wants a lizzard in it. I do have a few thoughts on how I can make that work, but haven't given in to him yet.
    Linda in PA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds nice!

The picture needs to be loaded onto a webserver somewhere. You can't post it from your harddrive.
    T
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to
    www.clubphoto.com
    you can post your pic there

I am the weirdo who sits next to you on the bus!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yay! PLEASE, no lizard:
    1. The Cp's will eat it.
    2.The lizard will destroy the plants by digging.
    I hope the weight thing worked ok.
    I am back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a couple lizards that will work fine if you are really interested in doing it. I would recommend an anole or a plain old house gecko (either would be about $3 at a pet store.) My only word of abvice concerning them would be: Make sure the top is secure. Unless you don't mind a little bugger scampering around your house.

You could also do some of the smaller tree frog species like a Green or a Grey.

The good thing about all these species is that they are small so they'll take pinhead crickets wich are also the ideal size for VFTs, Sarrs and Neps

If you need any more reptile help feel free to drop me a line but be warned, I'll chew your ear about them for hours if you let me

Pyro
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh,
    I'm a herper, too. The problem is that they may starve if the CP's eat all the crickets, the will do their business where they want, unlike desert geckoes that have a difectorium. And the neps might er, eat em Good luck
    I am back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lithopsman, thanks for the thoughts. I think I have figured out the answer to the problems your refer to (although maybe easier said than done). I think a piece of plexiglass about 4 to 5 inches tall, glued and sealed to the bottom of the tank from front to back (this is to keep the CP ground water from being contaminated), then a screen or net of some sort attached to the plexiglass up to the top of the tank, camouflaged with vine or plants somehow (still not fully worked out for aesthetics) but to contain the lizard away from the CP's. This will basically give him/her half the tank but appear like it is the whole tank. Although, I must say, if the nepths reach a size that would be able to eat a lizard, then I'd be proud as pounch ; right now, they are barely big enough to eat a fruit fly . I was careful about the weight, and so far it appears to be holding well.

Pyro, thank you for the offer, I have a ton of questions and would be glad for you to chew my ear off with information.
    Linda in PA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lithopsman,

My 20 years of experience compeles me to reaffirm that anoles and house geckos would fit into this set up fine with little or no damage to the plants or the animals.

The problem is that they may starve if the CP's eat all the crickets[/QUOTE]

Lizards are active hunters and will more than likely chase down every cricket. The plants will probably only catch a cricket here and there.

the will do their business where they want[/QUOTE]

True, but even a colony of them would not produce enough waste to toxify the environment in a dynamic system like this. Mould will decompose it and the non-CPs will absorb it. I had a 55 gallon vivarium go 6 years before I changed out the media and there were no ill effects to any of the flora or fauna.

unlike desert geckoes that have a difectorium[/QUOTE]

In my experience only leopard and fat-tailed geckos do this, my Tucson banded hasn't in the 13 years I have had him.

My only concern would be that a lizard may run over a Drosera and tromp it a little but what with the caustic nature of the dew the lizard would probably learn pretty fast to avoid that area of the tank.

Linda,

You can email me if you like, messaging me is fine too. Or we can just chat it out here for all to see in the event that others get to liking this idea and want to follow along

Pyro
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast