What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Milk as a fungicide...

Milk Baths Kill Fungus!!
wow.gif

While testing traditional sulfur based fungicides for his doctoral research at the University of Adelaide in Australia, Peter Crisp discovered that bathing grape leaves in a weak dilution of milk and water is as effective as the sulfur based chemicals that the Australian wine industry spends $30 million a year on. Several organic wineries are testing the treatment.

My dad found this in the new "Popular Mechanics"

Do you think this would work on carnivorous plants? Someone should try it.
smile.gif

Spectabilis73

I wouldn't go anywhere near it! Especially with the high humidity levels most cps grow at.. I think it is asking for a lovely carpet of mold growing on the dried milk.

Sulfur based fungicides are heavily used on grapes. (grapes are also very often grown in dry climates) They are almost entirely preventative and work by sticking to the surface of the leaf. Study done at Cornell found that it is not the chemical that prevents the fungus from infecting the plant but instead it is the change in the leaf surface by the foreign substance that is preventing infection. They also found that many different substances could be sprayed on the leaf to cause the same effect. I am guessing that the diluted milk is working in the same way and also perhaps as a slight sealant to the plants stomata which is the normal mode of leaf infection.

Tony

Ive heard that cinnamon is good substitute for a fungicide, seems to work for me, especially against thestringy grey mold...

Cya laters
Jim

Back