What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oakworms?

Hi. this weekend, I looked around for oakworms, cause I want to raise them to feed to my plants. I caught some moths,too. and they laid eggs! I want to grow them and feed them to my plants...wah hah hah hahahhah!
tounge.gif
but, would they eat my cps if they ecscaped? could a nep. digest a crysilis(sp?)? or a venus fly trap? or a pitcher plant? and all the other cps...
confused.gif

Thanks,
Spectabilis73
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
smile.gif

tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Spectabilis73, I would be careful about feeding moth catapillars to your cp's. I made the mistake of putting a small catapillar in my S. Judith Hindle and it managed to get back out. Took me three days to find what was eating the pithcers causing some serious damage to them. Fortunately, it's almost dormancy time so it really doesn't matter that some pitchers have big holes in them. As far as chrysallis, I don't know about those but if you feed them to cp's, you might want to puncture the exoskeleton before feeding.

I have fed some of my sars caterpillars... the ones that were ravishing my passiflora...
smile.gif

I just cut them in half before I dropped them in... I think it made for nice quick absorbtion, and I didn't have a care in the world about them continuing their reign of plant terror...

Yah, as long as the the thing is dead first it's fine, just don't give them to VFT (VFT need live food and moth/catapillar will also be to fatty for them most of the time too)

You really don't have to feed your CP's much. So is it really worth all the effort?
confused.gif

But, if you enjoy raising these worms, then go for it! Could be fun
smile.gif

uh oh...I now have about 150 eggs! what do I do?...more like 200-300 hundred eggs! Ahhhh!
wow.gif
the oakworms return!
wow.gif
wow.gif
tounge.gif

They...They...They hatched!Well,40-50 of them
wow.gif
they're everywhere in my little enclosure
biggrin.gif
they look so small and helpless, I feel sorry for them.lol
biggrin.gif
my cps are eyeing them suspiciously, and hungerly