What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frozen blood worms

Kate

Far too old to grow up now.
I was thawing blood worms for the fish this afternoon when it occured to me that they might be edible to cp's so here's the question...

Does anyone see any reason why it wouldn't be possible/advisable to feed small amounts of frozen blood worms (thawed of course) to CP's?

I was thinking mostly as a baby nep food... Hard to get even the smallest ants into tiny pitchers.

Maehem,

i tried that once feeding blood worms to one of the neps i have and it started to turn brown right away. try it on one pitcher and see what happens it might of just been a one time thing w/ the pitcher but, i havn't feed them it again

I use the dried ones so I dont see any reason why the frozen would be any different.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I use the dried ones so I dont see any reason why the frozen would be any different.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Clown i feed them the dried ones also. you didn't have anything wrong w/ them after a week or so of feeding them?

i still got a can left i will try it once again on the pitchers that are there on the plants now and see what happens.

Yes, please let me know as well. I have had a bit of a rethink on the frozen bloodworms... not exactly sure how sanitary they are. The fish deal with them rather quickly so not really any worries about bacteria there... they kind of hang around in the pitchers though... The thought occurs that maybe the dried ones would be slightly more sterile... maybe not though... I will have to experiment and see what happens.

well yesturday i put a pinch of dried blood worms into at least 12 pitchers. some less than a pinch due to they are rather small in size thu. some pitchers i still can't get anything into cause they are still very small and i don't want to damage the pitcher lid putting them in there.

I've tried some mosquito larvae before, honestly didn't see much change in plant growth.

i have been using dried blood worms and live meal worms as food for several of my plants for about 2 months. i haven't had anything negative happen. my vfts don't seem to care either way right now. my s. purpurea seems to like them and is putting out some of the largest pitchers to date. and my v. ventricosa like them as well.

i have only had the nep since early november, so it's possible that it had just adjusted to the new environment, and the worms had nothing to do with it.

i've had the sarr for about 6 months now.

the vft's i have growing now were purchased late in the fall, and have never experienced life outside of the aquarium. i like to sprinkle a few blood worms into the traps, them add in a live meal worm to activate and stimulate the trap.

i bought the kind of dried blood worms that ARE NOT in the gel. i don't know about the kind that come in the gel...

peace,
technoracer

Back