User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Not cp related - anyone know how us customs works?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heyla,

I'm pretty frustrated right now with information overload. My friend got me the first 4 hardcover HP books in London and brought them back. I'm ordering the 5th from amazon.co.uk, and they mention that US customs will add their own "pricing" as I am now considered an importer. I looked up books on the US customs site (http://dataweb.usitc.gov/SCRIPTS/tariff/0302c49.pdf) and it says "Printed books, brochures, leaflets, and similar printed matter, whether or not in single sheets:
    Single sheets, whether or not folded - free
    Reproduction proofs and other - by kg

HUH?[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img] Are books single sheet? Huh? I don't get it at all. And more confusing, there's no price for the kg weight, so I have no idea how much it will cost if it's considered "other". Anyone have a clue as to how this works? The book is 2.8lbs.

Thanks!
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Canada, if I import something, I get charged the sales taxes I would have paid if I had bought it in Canada, plus a $5 service charge. Do you think that this is the sort of thing they mean?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure - I know that amazon.co.uk is charging me shipping and handling already, and the customs thing is extra. My problem is that I can't figure out what category in customs it is, and in addition to that - nobody lists a price to each code. I know my aunt sent me a stylish backpack as gift from Hong Kong, and customs charged her $50 for it. So I'm sorta scared that a simple book might cost me quite a bit! If I don't count the cost of unknown extras, the book was actually $2 cheaper for me to get in the UK. But if that were generally the case, I'd think that everyone here would be importing books!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I now have the new Harry Potter book from Britain (I'm in the US) and I'm laughing it up! Not only does customs NOT charge anything for books - I got mine from amazon.co.uk - it was cheaper for me to get it this way than going to the local bookstore or this country's amazon! Mwa ha ha! I've got a lot of reading to do, better get started....
    -Michelle