What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not cp related - anyone know how us customs works?

Heyla,

I'm pretty frustrated right now with information overload. My friend got me the first 4 hardcover HP books in London and brought them back. I'm ordering the 5th from amazon.co.uk, and they mention that US customs will add their own "pricing" as I am now considered an importer. I looked up books on the US customs site (http://dataweb.usitc.gov/SCRIPTS/tariff/0302c49.pdf) and it says "Printed books, brochures, leaflets, and similar printed matter, whether or not in single sheets:
Single sheets, whether or not folded - free
Reproduction proofs and other - by kg

HUH?
confused.gif
Are books single sheet? Huh? I don't get it at all. And more confusing, there's no price for the kg weight, so I have no idea how much it will cost if it's considered "other". Anyone have a clue as to how this works? The book is 2.8lbs.

Thanks!

In Canada, if I import something, I get charged the sales taxes I would have paid if I had bought it in Canada, plus a $5 service charge. Do you think that this is the sort of thing they mean?

I'm not sure - I know that amazon.co.uk is charging me shipping and handling already, and the customs thing is extra. My problem is that I can't figure out what category in customs it is, and in addition to that - nobody lists a price to each code. I know my aunt sent me a stylish backpack as gift from Hong Kong, and customs charged her $50 for it. So I'm sorta scared that a simple book might cost me quite a bit! If I don't count the cost of unknown extras, the book was actually $2 cheaper for me to get in the UK. But if that were generally the case, I'd think that everyone here would be importing books!

Well, I now have the new Harry Potter book from Britain (I'm in the US) and I'm laughing it up! Not only does customs NOT charge anything for books - I got mine from amazon.co.uk - it was cheaper for me to get it this way than going to the local bookstore or this country's amazon! Mwa ha ha! I've got a lot of reading to do, better get started....

Back