Thread: Funny plant fiancee ran across years ago

Far too old to grow up now. Kate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Okay,

I posted this almost a month ago in the quasi carniverous disscussion group... so far have ran into a lot of disbelief and no help... so I am going to try here

Hi,

My fiancee keeps telling me about this plant he ran across several years ago, he really wants to know what it is called.

Apparantly it is rather short, solid short stock, lots of woody vines with lots (masses) of thick thorns. Bark was brownish red, thorns are blackish red. when you touch it one of its branches all the vines/branches curl tightly around the spot that was touched.

Any Ideas??

End Post.

No, it is not from a movie, several people back up the description, and no, none of us are insane. Any "useful" help is appreciated.

T.I.A.

Mae
    I typo, therefore I edit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Can you tell us where this plant was seen? That will help narrow it down
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seen in florida, Naples area. Just talking to finacee's father about it looking for more info. He did meet someone years back that was able to identify it, but he can't remember the name, just that it is native to the outlying areas of the everglades and is very very rare.. hope that helps

Thanks

Mae

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the only think I know of that sounds remotely like it is mimosa... and it's not carnivorous, and I don't know if it has invaded the everglades (i think it is considered an invasive species in some areas, so it's not rare.)

Other than that, I dont know what it could possibly be, it doesn't sound like a cape sundew, or any of the 'fast' moving types of CP.... I dont think I have ever seen or heard of a CP with thorns, except Devil's Claw, and that is only on the seed.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're probably right Rampuppy, mimosa does seem to fit the description. They've certainly got quite a few thorns and move quick after being touched. I can't believe that never entered my mind after seeing the post.
    Did it have small compound leaves, in opposite pairs (one directly across from another)? Did it seem to bend at the base of the leaves, and the base of the stems?
    If it is mimosa, it is not carnivorous, though they are kind of interesting (if you like moving bushes with tons of thorns).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nope, not mimosa. VERY familiar with mimosa.. and it's ability to take over lawns and crack fish ponds!!! grrrr! Also mimosa could by no means in any variety be considered rare down here.

Thanks anyway though, will keep looking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try looking up your local wild life directory for the state, they will have recordings on everything that grows in your state, if this plant is really rare, there might be a little info you can pass them too,like the location so they can examine it [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

just a thought [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

ccrider
    follow your desires, even the spur of the moment has its purpose in life!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hadn't thought of that will have to try it. As for the location of the plant, I haven't the fainest notion where it is

Thanks

Mae

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast