What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Funny plant fiancee ran across years ago

• Thread starter Kate
  • Start date

Kate

Far too old to grow up now.
Okay,

I posted this almost a month ago in the quasi carniverous disscussion group... so far have ran into a lot of disbelief and no help... so I am going to try here

Hi,

My fiancee keeps telling me about this plant he ran across several years ago, he really wants to know what it is called.

Apparantly it is rather short, solid short stock, lots of woody vines with lots (masses) of thick thorns. Bark was brownish red, thorns are blackish red. when you touch it one of its branches all the vines/branches curl tightly around the spot that was touched.

Any Ideas??

End Post.

No, it is not from a movie, several people back up the description, and no, none of us are insane. Any "useful" help is appreciated.

T.I.A.

Mae

Can you tell us where this plant was seen? That will help narrow it down

Seen in florida, Naples area. Just talking to finacee's father about it looking for more info. He did meet someone years back that was able to identify it, but he can't remember the name, just that it is native to the outlying areas of the everglades and is very very rare.. hope that helps

Thanks

Mae

the only think I know of that sounds remotely like it is mimosa... and it's not carnivorous, and I don't know if it has invaded the everglades (i think it is considered an invasive species in some areas, so it's not rare.)

Other than that, I dont know what it could possibly be, it doesn't sound like a cape sundew, or any of the 'fast' moving types of CP.... I dont think I have ever seen or heard of a CP with thorns, except Devil's Claw, and that is only on the seed.

You're probably right Rampuppy, mimosa does seem to fit the description. They've certainly got quite a few thorns and move quick after being touched. I can't believe that never entered my mind after seeing the post.
Did it have small compound leaves, in opposite pairs (one directly across from another)? Did it seem to bend at the base of the leaves, and the base of the stems?
If it is mimosa, it is not carnivorous, though they are kind of interesting (if you like moving bushes with tons of thorns).

nope, not mimosa. VERY familiar with mimosa.. and it's ability to take over lawns and crack fish ponds!!! grrrr! Also mimosa could by no means in any variety be considered rare down here.

Thanks anyway though, will keep looking

try looking up your local wild life directory for the state, they will have recordings on everything that grows in your state, if this plant is really rare, there might be a little info you can pass them too,like the location so they can examine it
smile.gif

just a thought
smile.gif

ccrider

Hadn't thought of that will have to try it. As for the location of the plant, I haven't the fainest notion where it is

Thanks

Mae

It is not a carnivorous species, all of which are herbaceous and none of which have thorns.

do any of the sensitivity plants have thorns?

I had never really though it was carnivorous, just really nastly LOL, which is why I first posted it on the semi/quasi board... met with mostly disbelief so thought I would try here. I was just speaking with my fiancee about it, he does remember where it was, unfortunately the property has been sold about 4 times since then... Have been wondering how well the new owners would take to me knocking on thiier door and asking if they still have it...

you can always try!

And dont be to quick to rule out mimosa, there are many different strains of mimosa, from the tiny to the enormous...

Fatboy, If I remember, collected some a while back, 2 varieties I think.. one little, one huge.. as far as I know, he's our expert...

but I agree with tamlin, I just don't think it's a carnivore, and it just sounds so much like mimosa, it could be a different one than you are used to (Mimosa is all over the world)

Sorry replying late to this but I think I know what plant it is your fiancee saw. Is it the Cat's Claw? It is realated to the mimosa BUT NOT DIRECTLY. It is in my North American wildlife book and the latin term for it is Schrankia nuttallii Is that it? Says in my book it moves thorns and leaves when touched or moved. It in the range of Florida to Alabama and a little northward to Tennessee and Oklahoma. It grows along the ground and it VERY thorny and movesthorns and leaves. I think I have a break in this case!  
biggrin.gif

BTW, here's a pic of it. Looks just like a Mimosa, and its a native American plant.
smile.gif

sensitive.jpg

Why would a plant need quick movements? It is just expending unecesary energy, if it doesn't plan on catching any food.

According to my book here they belive it moves using NO energy, but more of a sensitive movement. It moves by the osmotic pressure in the cells membranes, sorta like a hydraulic piston in a way, just moves with pressure not energy. The reson it moves is to "blend in" like sticks (after it folds up) with it's environment, sorta hides in plain view.

wow... looks like it would be a cool plant to own.

Back